Wildcats drop final series game to Longhorns

Third baseman Jason Parsons starts running after bunting the ball. Parsons had one hit in three at-bats as the Wildcats fell to the Longhorns 6-3 Saturday, giving Texas the series win 2-1.

Texas got the best of Kansas State baseball Saturday, winning 6-3 in the teams’ third game. The Longhorn dropped 33 total runs in its three games against K-State, winning two of three for the series victory. Starting pitcher Owen Boerema received the loss after pitching six innings, allowing four runs, two earned.

The third inning saw the first signs of scoring as Longhorns’ shortstop Jalin Flores and right fielder Max Belyeu both scored runs putting Texas ahead first. The Longhorns also earned a run in the top of the fourth, catcher Rylan Galvan and second baseman Dee Kennedy both scored unearned runs to give Texas a 4-0 lead after a Wildcat throwing error.

The bottom of the sixth saw things look up for K-State. Shortstop Kaelen Culpepper tripled it down the right side to give second baseman Brady Day a run. Neither team scored again until the eighth and ninth innings. In the bottom of the eighth, right fielder Kyan Lodice and catcher Raphael Pelletier both racked up a run. Texas still led 4-3.

The top of the ninth became a home run burst for the Longhorns as third baseman Peyton Powell and first baseman Jared Thomas homered the ball towards right field. The Wildcats didn’t respond, and Texas took the win 6-3.

The Wildcats, now seeking momentum, will travel and play Missouri State at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.