The independent student news publication at Kansas State University

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Know Your Opponent: Wildcats host Iowa State for senior night

The Wildcats undergo a rematch against the Iowa State Cyclones
76 Views
Avery Johnson
Head coach Jeff Mittie shows guard Taryn Sides a play during the West Virginia game on Feb. 21. Sides will be a key player in K-State’s Iowa State matchup on Feb. 28.
No. 15 K-State 23-5 (12-4)

Kansas State’s previous game against Kansas resulted in a close 58-55 loss. Center Ayoka Lee was an all around contributor, scoring 14 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks, but struggled against Jayhawk center Taiyanna Jackson. The Wildcats are notorious for scoring lower than their opponent in the first quarter. For the Wildcats to have a successful game against the Cyclones, they will need to attack early on in the game to provide cushion for later quarters.

Iowa State 16-10 (10-6)

The Iowa State Cyclones are coming into the game against K-State with two wins in a row. Their previous game was a major blowout against BYU, 74-49. Guard Emily Ryan was the Cyclones’ leading scorer with 22 points and six assists while center Audi Crooks carried defensively with nine rebounds and one block. The Cyclones previously beat the Wildcats 96-93 in double OT. The Cyclones will be a difficult team to beat if they have a strong second half. 

Matchup to Watch: Center Ayoka Lee v. Center Audi Crooks 

Although Lee has obtained a couple ankle injuries in the past weeks, she is still a major force in the paint. She is averaging 20.2 points and 8.4 rebounds per game. Besides the statistics, Lee is also great at providing energy on the court, which helps her teammates perform better. 

Crooks is also very dominant by the basket averaging 18.3 points and 7.6 rebounds per game. Crooks performs best when she is able to back into her opponent and go for the layup or pivot into a fadeaway jumper. 

Although Lee has an overall higher chance of outplaying Crooks statistically, Crooks may have the upper hand due to Lee’s recent injuries. Both centers are the key players and leading scores for their team, so this matchup will have all eyes on it.

Key Players

K-State

Guard Serena Sundell

Guard Taryn Sides

Iowa State

Forward Addy Brown

Guard Emily Ryan 

Prediction: 93-90 K-State