According to Abbigail

Back to basics: Six closet items that make outfits easier

Trends come and go, but one fact remains: basics never go out of style. Like a house, every closet needs a strong foundation. As I work to build my basics, I’ve cultivated six top picks for wardrobe building blocks that’ll elevate your daily outfits with ease.

Plain white T-shirt

I’d be shocked if you didn’t expect a plain white tee on this list. While it’s the most basic of the basics, it’s also the easiest to build on. I love pairing mine with a leather jacket and blue jeans. Or, throw one under a sweater to construct a layered look. However you use it, the plain white tee is an essential that will never steer you wrong.

Slip-on sneakers

A slip-on sneaker is the ideal shoe if you’re wearing an outfit that blends lines between sporty and chic. I often search for something fancier than tennis shoes, but not as fancy as a flat. That’s where the slip-on comes in. My recent favorite finds came from New Balance and Steve Madden.

Blue jeans 

Like the white tee, a good pair of blue jeans will find endless use. While I love a good hole in the knee, it’s always good to have a variety of styles for different occasions. If you’re going to pick just one pair, skip the rips. No matter the style, opt for comfort! No one likes too-tight jeans.

Black sweater 

I will defend the black sweater till the day I die. It’s one of the most versatile pieces in any closet. Dress it up with a pair of slacks for business casual, or dress it down with the aforementioned blue jeans. Any way you style a black sweater will leave you looking elegant, timeless and perfectly put together.

A nice coat 

When heading to a nice dinner or a business meeting, sometimes a puffer coat just doesn’t cut it. Investing in a nice overcoat will keep you warm and add to — not subtract from — your outfit. Timeless, versatile and functional — what more could you ask for? If you want to add more sophistication to your wardrobe, this should be next in your shopping cart.

Small pair of hoops

Jewelry, while important, is often forgotten. A nice pair of hoops can instantly add flair to almost any outfit without breaking the bank on accessories. This understated item has plenty of opportunities to get you your money’s worth and is an easy way to transition an outfit from casual to chic.