Spring 2024 Week of Welcome: K-State brings students together with a bingo night, free concert and more

K-State Week of Welcome events work to embrace students of all interests to celebrate the start of a new semester

With the new semester underway, Kansas State launches the spring Week of Welcome, a week’s worth of engagement activities to help new and returning students adjust to being back on campus and everything purple.

Events included activities like a “Jam Sesh,” a night of playing instruments at the Student Union, and the Military Affiliated Lunch and Learns, allowing students to develop connections with the program and their future. Between a free concert, activity carnival, library meet-and-greet and more, K-State works to find something for all students to enjoy.

For one of the events on Wednesday, students packed into the Wildcat Chamber at the Union to play “Gift Basket Bingo” to try to win bingo and a gift basket.

The Union Program Council, Student Programs and Involvement, and Cat Trax clubs hosted the bingo night, and their sponsorship helped pack the baskets with prizes, snacks, K-State merchandise and essential oils for students to set their sights on.

Emily Necessary, sophomore in horticulture, was one of the first Bingo Basket winners.

“I follow @kstateupc on Instagram, and I attended last year,” Necessary said.

Brooke Dennis, graduate student in theater, helped host the Bingo night.

“I am one of the graduate assistants for one of the offices that run [this event tonight] with the Student Union,” Dennis said. “This [bingo night] was more attended than last year. Even though last year had pretty high attendance, the general response was a lot greater.”

Dennis said as a seasoned theater kid assigned to host this event, her energy and excitement helped animate the laughter-filled event, even through the groans of loss throughout the night.

The spring 2024 Week of Welcome may be wrapping up, but there’s still time to enjoy the fun. On Friday, Jan. 19, there will be a free concert, “Lil Boo Thang” from artist Paul Russell, at the Student Union Courtyard, and then a free showing of the movie “Lady Bird” on Saturday, Jan. 20, at the Union.

For more information on Week of Welcome events, visit its website at wow.k-state.edu.