K-State lands Michigan transfer Dug McDaniel

Wildcats pick up highly-rated point guard to kick off portal season

Kansas State basketball has earned a commitment from Michigan transfer Dug McDaniel, marking the first portal addition for the 2024-25 Wildcats. 

The junior-to-be has spent the past two seasons with the Wolverines, starting in every game he played this past season along with 26 of 34 games as a freshman. He’ll become the Wildcats’ starting point guard alongside sophomore-to-be Dai Dai Ames.

McDaniel is the No. 2 rated transfer point guard per On3. He averaged 16.3 points per game, 4.7 assists and 3.7 rebounds as a sophomore.

McDaniel chooses the Wildcats over conference foe TCU who was reported as K-State’s biggest competitor in the race for his talents.

Guards Tylor Perry (graduation), Dorian Finister (transfer portal) and Cam Carter (transfer portal) exited the program this offseason. Now, the Wildcats load up with one of the hottest commodities in the portal.

K-State also saw the exit of center Jerrell Colbert to the portal. However, McDaniel’s teammate at Michigan, Tarris Reed, has been strongly linked to K-State after a visit to Manhattan last week and could fill his position. 

Reed, another junior-to-be, averaged 6.1 points, 5.5 rebounds, and 1.2 blocks for Michigan last year. 

Jerome Tang and his staff have four scholarship spots left to fill ahead of the upcoming season.