How Soon After Marriage You Can Get a Divorce?

People often think that couples of divorce are usually the ones who have spent decent time together and are tired of being married so they decide to quit the relationship. Although similar situations often happen with different reasons behind them, there are also couples who barely try to live in marriage when they choose to put it to an end.

If you have to deal with the latter option, you may come to wonder how soon after marriage can you get a divorce. These and other details of the case development depend largely on the local legislature and your specific situation. But you can still explore the divorce-soon-after-marriage issue closer so that you know what you should be ready for.

Why You May Want to Divorce Soon After Marriage

Before addressing your situation of the divorce intention soon after you get married, it is necessary you define and analyze the reasons behind the case. Check out the common reasons why people may decide to finalize their marriage soon after they start it:

• Lack of compatibility – often only when people get married and start living together they may realize they are polarly different in their views, beliefs, and even daily habits which make them incompatible for close and lasting relationships within one family.
  • Infidelity – if one partner is unfaithful to another and they cannot fix it between them, it doesn’t matter whether their marriage is long or short. They decide that the divorce can free them from burdening relationships and go for it.
  • Abuse or violence – if there is a place for any kind of abuse or violence in the marriage, there is no need to neglect your personal safety but better quit the harmful relationship as soon as possible. Then the quick divorce is the best choice with restrictive orders to come into place even before it.
  • Financial issues – financial disagreements are another frequent reason for divorce. If the couple cannot deal with their finances properly and it pressurizes their relationships, divorce may seem the right solution.
  • Rushed marriage – often a couple may be overexcited about their relationships and get married in a hurry. When the reality comes, they may understand that they were not ready for such an important step and the connected responsibility.

People may have different reasons why they seek cheap Texas divorce right after marriage in the first place. If you are among them, your task is to assess your situation soberly and take the step that will change your life for the better.

Jurisdiction Waiting Period for Divorce
United States Waiting periods vary by state, ranging from no waiting period to several months. Some states require a minimum residency period before filing for divorce.
United Kingdom Couples must wait at least one year before filing for divorce, unless there are exceptional circumstances such as adultery, unreasonable behavior, or desertion.
Canada Waiting periods vary by province. Some provinces have no waiting period, while others may require a separation period ranging from a few months to one year.
Australia Couples must be separated for at least 12 months before filing for divorce.
India Couples must be separated for at least one year before filing for divorce, although exceptions exist for cases of cruelty or exceptional hardship.
South Africa Couples must be separated for at least two years before filing for divorce, unless there are exceptional circumstances such as adultery or abuse.
Germany Couples must be separated for at least one year before filing for divorce, although exceptions exist for cases of exceptional hardship.
France Couples must be separated for at least two years before filing for divorce, unless there are exceptional circumstances such as adultery or abuse.
Japan Couples must be separated for at least six months before filing for divorce.
Brazil Couples must be separated for at least one year before filing for divorce, unless there are exceptional circumstances such as adultery or abuse.
China Couples must be separated for at least one year before filing for divorce, although exceptions exist for cases of abuse, bigamy, or desertion.
Nigeria Couples must be separated for at least two years before filing for divorce, unless there are exceptional circumstances such as adultery, cruelty, or desertion.
Saudi Arabia Divorce in Saudi Arabia follows Islamic law, and procedures and waiting periods can vary. Couples may need to attempt reconciliation through mediation before divorce is granted.

How Early You Can File for Divorce

Being disappointed with their marital life from the very beginning, partners may wonder ‘Can I file for divorce after 1 month of marriage?’ The truth is that there are no valid laws and regulations around the USA on how long your marriage should last before you can finalize it. You can even file for divorce the very next day after your marriage if you have solid grounds and intentions for it.

But if you ask for divorce that fast, be ready that the court may want to know the reasons behind your straightforward decision. So prepare serious proof for the grounds of your marriage termination.

Plus, if you hope for an alimony assignment or a share of marital property, the short duration of marriage may be a serious obstacle for you to gain the benefits.

When the Actual Divorce Will Come

Mind that the fact that you can file for divorce straight after you get married doesn’t imply that you will get one quickly. The answer to how long after marriage can you get a divorce depends mainly on the jurisdiction under which you file for it.

The timeframes of the filing process are different in every state and may consist of several stages that can move your divorce closer or further from you. The requirements may include the residency requirement of living in the same area for a certain time. You may also be regulated to get separated for several months or even a year before you can get a divorce. Plus, there is a waiting period for you to dwell on your decision that can fluctuate between several weeks and over a year in different states.

Anyway, if you aim at a quick divorce straight after the beginning of the marriage but are uncertain about what you can expect, consult a relevant expert to know for sure.

What Are the Quick Options for Finalizing the Divorce

If you are bothered about how soon after marriage can you get a divorce and you cannot do anything but obey the law, you may want to know how to reach your target as soon as possible. Here are some ideas for you:

• Cooperate with your partner. The sooner you reach agreement the faster your divorce procedure will be.
  • Seek wavier. If you face any specific circumstances, such as domestic violence, that leave you no choice but to quit the marriage, you can ask for legal regulation to shorten your waiting period or separation time.
  • File for restrictive orders. If you need legal action taken here and now but your divorce final is still far enough, you can file for restrictive orders to regulate the relationships with your soon-to-be ex even before your marriage termination is over.
  • Seek assistance from the relevant specialists. If you reach for the aid of a mediator, divorce lawyer, financial consultant, and other in-field experts, you can find a way to streamline your process without much turbulence.

If you put in a decent effort and study your situation and the local law well, you will gain more chances to put your marriage to an end straight after its beginning without any hassle.

Conclusion

Getting divorced soon after the marriage has only started isn’t a rare occasion but still requires a special approach. Although you can usually file for the end of a marriage without any delay, the process itself may last quite a while. Study your local legislature on the issue, find relevant specialists to aid you in the best possible way, and be ready to commit to the process efficiently if you wish for successful aftermath.