Baseball defeated by Bearcats in high-scoring ball game  

K-State follows up no-hitter with 11-7 loss
Madison Riebel
Infielder Kaelen Culpepper swings at a Cincinnati pitch. The Wildcats fell 11-7 in Game 2 against the Bearcats.

Both Kansas State and Cincinnati proved to be capable of putting runs on the board in Saturday night’s battle. After K-State threw a combined no-hitter last time out, Cincinnati would grab revenge to win 11-7. 

Scoring began in the bottom of the second as K-State outfielder Brendan Jones drove in catcher Raphael Pelletier and third baseman Danniel Rivera on a single to put the first runs on the board.

The Bearcats were in their element in the top of the third in response. Six total runs occurred for the Bearcats giving it a 6-2 edge over K-State.  

The Wildcats responded in the bottom of the third with second baseman Brady Day scoring on a flyout and right fielder Nick English scoring a run off a Bearcats error. Cincinnati still led 6-4.

K-State would make the top of the fourth a quiet one for Cincinnati, not allowing anything. The bottom of the fourth saw English send a double into left center allowing three Wildcats to score, giving K-State a 7-6 lead. 

K-State did not score again after this while the Bearcats had other ideas. Cincinnati scored three runs in the top of the fifth and tacked on one in each the sixth and seventh. 

English finished his night with three RBI and one run. Day would score two runs and Jones totaled two RBI in the loss. K-State relief pitcher Adam Arthur earned his first loss of the season with two innings pitched allowing two runs.

The Battle of Cats series continues at 1 p.m. Sunday.