The independent student news publication at Kansas State University

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Five romantic and affordable Valentine’s Day date ideas

Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to break the bank: these five affordable dates are college-friendly and a fun memory for you and your partner

Bake together 

This fun date doesn’t require much, just what’s already in your pantry! Whether it’s homemade cookies or a brownie mix from Dillons, baking with your significant other or friend is a great way to spend time together and create a core memory.

The kitchen is the heart of the home, and what better way to spend a laid-back Valentine’s Day than at home with the smell of freshly-baked cookies?

Picnic and stargazing on Manhattan Hill 

This simple date is perfect for any time of day, and with enough gas, this date can last for hours. Pack up some heart-shaped candies, Google a list of “would you rather” questions and watch the stars or sunset. Create a joint playlist with your favorite songs to play on the stereo, dance in the headlights and make this Valentine’s Day one to remember.

Dollar store painting activity 

This date night requires a quick trip with your partner to your favorite dollar or craft store. Pick out your favorite “paint by numbers,” or find a blank canvas and some acrylic paint, and paint to your heart’s content. For an even cozier vibe, spice things up by painting only with candlelight.

Whether you share one painting or buy two and exchange them after the paintings are finished, this date is simple, easy and cute, and doubles as a gift that you both will cherish.

“Favorites Night”

This Oprah-inspired trend is popular among couples right now, and is simple to do! The idea is to take a list of categories, like your favorite color, scent or something that reminds you of them, and find or buy something for your partner’s favorites in those categories.

For example, if your partner’s favorite color is red, you can give them a red shirt or bake them red food. As long as it fits their favorite category, anything works!

This date eliminates the gift worries of Valentine’s Day and is great for anyone still getting to know their partner.

Recreate your first date 

A sentimental date idea for you and your partner is recreating your first date. Whether it was a bar, bowling alley or study date, this cute idea will take you two back in time and remind you why you started dating.

Taking a stroll down memory lane is unique, affordable and intimate, and there’s almost nothing more romantic than going back to where it all began in this season of love.