Safe Kids Riley County informs residents about car seat safety

Studies find properly installed car seats can reduce the risk of injury and death by 80 percent
Riley Scott

“I know the importance of protecting my grandchildren in the car — I have always taken protective measures because the thought of something bad happening that could have been prevented makes me feel sick,” Joleen Probst, a grandmother of six, said. 

Motor vehicle injuries are a leading cause of death among children in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Child safety seats reduce the risk of death in passenger cars by 71% for infants, 54% for toddlers aged 1-4 and 45% for children 4-8 years old, according to the CDC.

“Child restraints are thoroughly research-and-design tested by extremely large companies — lots and lots of money — to ensure the utmost safety measures are in place for the specific height and weight of the child,” Jacob Wilson, sergeant at the Riley County Police Department, said.

In 2020, 32 children died in motor vehicle crashes in Kansas, according to the Kansas State Child Death Review Board 2022 Annual Report. This number increased by 18.75% the following year. 

In the event of a car crash, car seats, booster seats and seat belts work to prevent injury. 

“This protection keeps passengers in the vehicle, directs crash forces to the strongest parts of the body and spreads pressure across all areas of the body; putting less pressure on one point,” Lori Moriarty, instructor for the Kansas Traffic Safety Resource Office, said.

Wilson said it is important to make sure car seats are installed correctly.

“An improperly installed car seat will void its warranty in a crash and render it less effective,” Wilson said. 

Kansas Highway Patrol Trooper Tiffany Baylark said several agencies offer free car seat checks throughout the state.

“People can utilize these checks to make sure they have the correct car seat and that it is installed correctly,” Baylark said.

Safe Kids Riley County offers free car seat checks from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Tuesday at Manhattan Fire Station 5.