Editors’ Picks: Spring Semester Memories

The Collegian Editorial Board incoming and outgoing members pick their top moments from Spring 2024
Riley Scott
Yung Gravy concert: Carter Schaffer

The Gravy Train’s stop in Bramlage Coliseum may be one of the strangest events Kansas State put on during my four years here, but the rapper’s arrival created a nice night of memories. Aside from the concert, the Collegian team executed a plan to ensure we could get the paper done despite the concert happening during our production night, and pulling that through with the team let us bond.

Tattoos and trips to Arkansas: Libby Zuck

My favorite spring semester memory was my weekend trip to Arkansas to visit one of my long-distance best friends. This trip included tattoos and fun activities, and will always be one of my core memories for my sophomore year of college. 

2024 Passion Conference: Kate Hermelink

Approaching winter break, a trip was very much needed. Six friends and I decided to take off toward Atlanta for the 2024 Passion Conference. We got to be tourists in a new city, try different cuisines and hear from Christian speakers like Sadie Robertson along with many others. It was a surreal experience being surrounded by 55,000 other people that shared the same love as me.

Fake Patty’s Day: Cole Bertelsen

The experience of meeting up with your friends, many of whom you haven’t seen for months or even years, and celebrating the start of spring break is incomparable. While the increased police presence prevented the event from reaching past years’ heights, I made lasting memories this semester I wouldn’t trade for anything. 

Roblox with my roommates: Meredith McCalmon

This semester added plenty of stress onto my shoulders. With the pressure of classes, work and adulting, it was hard to find time for myself. One of the things I looked forward to most was spending time with my roommates, Catelyn and Becca. We found doing goofy activities together, like playing Roblox or coloring in kids’ coloring books after a long day, gave us a way to laugh and relieve stress. Some of my favorite memories are sitting on our living room floor and getting overly heated about battling players — probably 12-year-olds — in Total Roblox Island.

Men’s and women’s Big 12 tournaments: Avery Johnson

Over spring break, Luke and I took many trips to the T-Mobile Center in Kansas City, Missouri to cover the Phillips 66 Big 12 Tournament for both men’s and women’s basketball. Covering a game and being on the court in a big arena with sold-out crowds is something I will always remember and I will never take those opportunities for granted.

Women’s NCAA tournament: Luke Lazarczyk 

K-State women’s basketball granted me so many opportunities with its amazing season. The fact that it hosted two NCAA tourney games, which I covered, was a dream come true. Covering a March Madness game was something I’ll never forget.

Hanging out with my grandparents: Kyra Case

My grandparents came to Manhattan to watch me perform in the K-State Concert Band. Despite almost getting into a couple accidents and using the wrong lane to turn — twice — I had a great time showing them around town and performing later that night.

Yung Gravy Design: Riley Scott

Creating the promotional graphics for UPC’s Yung Gravy concert is the highlight of my college career. Seeing the large amount of energy for an event I was part of was incredibly rewarding. I will proudly display the posters in my portfolio for years to come.

Singo: Kaitlynn Faber

This isn’t a singular memory, but Grace Needham, the arts & culture editor before me, recommended finding a weekly sober tradition to do with friends in her article, “Life hacks for college in Manhattan.” Tuesday night Singo — name-that-tune bingo — is my friend group’s tradition, and I wouldn’t have gotten through the semester without all the laughs!