Wildcats’ comeback falls short in 32-run game against Longhorns

K-State baseball 10-game winning streak ends in historic game against Texas
Grace Parks
K-State pitcher Jacob Frost performs a pickoff attempt to first baseman David Bishop. K-State fell to Texas 21-11 in a historic 32-run game Saturday, tying the series 1-1.

In the highest scoring game in series history between Kansas State and Texas baseball, the Wildcats fell 21-11. 

“We always have good energy,” head coach Pete Hughes said about Texas’ late final push. “Just, can only take so many punches to the face.”

The 32-run bloodbath ended K-State’s 10-game win streak after a blowout 14-6 win over Texas Thursday night. Hughes said the loss was more disappointing with the performance on Thursday.

“We don’t have too much time to feel sorry for ourselves because it’s a quick turnaround tomorrow and we have a chance to win the series,” Hughes said.

Throughout the night the Wildcats put themselves in harm’s way. This included four errors and twice striking out a batter for the pitch to hit the dirt and the batter to make his way to first.

“You make four errors, you’re not gonna beat anybody,” Hughes said.

From the get go, Tointon Family Stadium was in for a classic. K-State led 2-0 after two innings with two solo shorts coming from left fielder Chuck Ingram and catcher Raphael Pelletier. Then came the Longhorns.

Texas snagged a 8-3 after five innings, with three two-run home runs itself.

The sixth inning marked K-State’s first comeback. The Wildcats put five runs on the board, including a two-run shot from Ingram, his second long ball of the game to tie it 8-8.

The Longhorns responded quickly, scoring three runs in the seventh. K-State did the same.

An opportunity was missed by the Wildcats in the tying inning. K-State had bases loaded at 11-11 with one out but failed to secure the lead.

Texas took advantage and sent the game into a cluster. After scoring three eighth inning runs, the Longhorns backed it up with seven more in the ninth, all but locking in a 1-1 series. 

The historic faceoff included a combined 37 hits and eight home runs.

The series victor will be decided 2 p.m. Saturday with K-State holding an 18-7 record. Hughes said he has confidence for the game with pitcher Owen Boerema starting.