The independent student news publication at Kansas State University

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

K-State men’s basketball misses NCAA tournament

Wildcats misses NCAA tournament, also not named “First Four Out”
1,622 Views
Avery Johnson
Head coach Jerome Tang speaks with guard Tylor Perry before returning to the court in the Big 12 tournament game against Texas. The Wildcats did not make the NCAA tournament, holding a 19-14 record after the conference tournament.

Update (9:17 p.m., March 17): Kansas State accepted the NIT invitation and will play against No. 3 seed Iowa in Iowa City. This story has been updated accordingly.

Kansas State men’s basketball did not earn a bid to the NCAA tournament. The Wildcats missed out on election Sunday from the 68-team tournament and were also not listed as a “First Four Out” team.

K-State’s season ended in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 tournament, falling to Iowa State 76-57. The Cyclones ended as a No. 2 seed and a win over Iowa State was considered to be crucial to the Wildcats’ chances. Prior to that, K-State defeated Texas 78-74, gaining its fifth Quad 1 win.

Quad 1 wins was one of K-State’s strongest arguments to make the tournament, as head coach Jerome Tang said after the Iowa State loss. 

The Wildcats suffered from an unusual conference tournament season as a bubble team. Many underdogs won their tournaments, taking away automatic bids from the most successful regular season teams’ in conferences, shrinking the bubble further.

K-State finished the season with a 19-14 record and a 8-10 regular season conference record. The Wildcats struggled throughout the season, winning many close games against lower quality teams and losing seven games in an eight-game stretch during conference play.

The Wildcats also had high moments, winning those five Quad 1 wins, four coming against AP top 25 teams.

Despite missing the NCAA tournament, K-State’s season is not over. The Wildcats received an NIT invitational as a lower seed and have accepted the invitation to play in the tournament. So far, Ole Miss, Memphis and Indiana are among teams who have stated they will not participate if invited.

The NIT Selection Show began at 8:30 p.m.