Brylee Glenn and Sundell lead close bounce back win against Cowgirls

Macey Franko
Guard Serena Sundell throws up a shot against the Oklahoma State Cowgirls. Sundell lead the Wildcats to a 69-68 win with 16 points, seven assists and two of both blocks and steals.

After two back-to-back losses on the road, Kansas State women’s basketball returned to Bramlage Coliseum, narrowly escaping an Oklahoma State upset, sealing the game 69-68. The comeback went into the final moments as guard Serena Sundell nailed the game-winning layup with 26 seconds left.                                                                                                      

In Quarter 1, the Wildcats struggled from the arch, going 1-5 five minutes into the game. K-State needed success from inside without outside success. Sundell solely found points with ease, scoring seven points in the first quarter.

K-State protected the rim well, as inside defense was not the issue with forwards Imani Lester and Gisela Sanchez each grabbing a block. Oklahoma State still found other ways to score, knocking down two early 3-pointers. K-State would have the lead 15-12 going into the second quarter.

The Wildcats’ 3-point struggles continued in Quarter 2. Guard Brylee Glenn started the game 0-4 from 3. This would not discourage her, as she found points from the mid-range and paint. Glenn would rack up 10 points in the second quarter and her contribution was a huge reason for the Wildcats gaining an eight-point lead into halftime. 

“I thought Brylee did a good job of not always shooting when she’s open,” head coach Jeff Mittie said. “She did a really good job of balancing that with our team.” 

Oklahoma State stayed in the game through its defense and highly efficient 3-point scoring. Oklahoma State would knock down three more 3-pointers in the quarter, ending the first half down 33-25 to K-State. 

In the third quarter, Oklahoma State’s 3-point scoring became even more frequent. The Cowgirls knocked down five 3-pointers and eliminated the eight-point deficit easily. Oklahoma State eventually took a six-point lead, forcing the Wildcats to call a timeout.  

Oklahoma State’s lead grew to 49-43, but Brylee Glenn’s outside shooting improved drastically. Glenn nailed two 3-pointers and helped tie the score 51-51. Glenn hit three 3s in the third quarter, all from the corner. The Cowgirls still held a 53-51 lead to end Quarter 3. 

“Brylee did a really good job of taking open shots and knocking them down.” Mittie said. 

Sundell’s two-way skills came in early in the fourth quarter. Sundell racked up a block followed by an and-1 layup to give the Wildcats a 54-53 lead. Oklahoma State would not let up though, going on a scoring run to mount a 61-54 lead. 

“I didn’t think our energy was very good and they had to make a choice,” Mittie said. 

K-State eventually clawed back into the game. Jaelyn Glenn knocked down a major corner 3 to give K-State a 67-66 lead. The Cowgirls regained the lead themselves and left K-State down 68-67 with under a minute left.

Again, K-State’s leader in recent weeks, Sundell delivered. The junior took a drive down the baseline and scored the game-winning shot. The Wildcats had a 69-68 lead with 26 seconds left on the clock and sealed the deal with a defensive stop.

Sundell had another all-around game, finishing with 16 points, seven assists and two of both blocks and steals. Brylee Glenn led the team in scoring with 23 points, one point shy of her career high. Guard Zyanna Walker had a near-double-double with 10 points and eight rebounds. 

After escaping a third straight loss, the Wildcats travel to Ames, Iowa, to take on Iowa State at 4 p.m. Wednesday as all eyes will wait to see if center Ayoka Lee will make her return.