Know Your Opponent: Struggling OSU and K-State meet again

Wildcats look to snap three-game losing streak
Macey Franko
Tylor Perry in the game against Oklahoma State. K-State beat Oklahoma State 70-66 in Bramlage Coliseum on Jan. 20.
 K-State 14-7 (4-4) 

In a rough stretch, the Wildcats have lost their last three games. The most recent loss came at the hands of No. 23 Oklahoma, winning convincingly 73-53. The Kansas State offense was stagnant, not scoring for almost 10 minutes. Foul trouble is a continued issue for K-State — they totaled 37 personal fouls in their last game. If the Cowboys draw fouls, they will have a good chance to win this game as they only lost to the Wildcats by four in Bramlage.

Oklahoma State 9-12 (1-7) 

Oklahoma State comes off a blowout loss to No. 8 Kansas. Kansas led in every major stat against the Cowboys. Since the Cowboys’ last game against K-State was so close, they will be more motivated going into this game. If the K-State slump continues, Oklahoma State could get its revenge and a much-needed win in a tough season of conference play.

Matchup to Watch: OSU’s offense vs. K-State’s stingy defense 

The Cowboys work collectively as an offense to score the ball. Oklahoma State has seven players averaging 6-13 points per game, with guard Javon Small leading with 13.4. The Cowboys just lost its second leading scorer due to injury. Guard Bryce Thompson is out for the year after suffering an injury against Kansas. Oklahoma State’s third best scorer is forward Eric  Dailey Jr. who averages 9.8 points a game. If the Cowboys’ other players can contribute, or one of them has a big night, K-State could have trouble containing so many scoring threats at once.

The Wildcats have scoring threats of their own with three players ranking top 15 for the Big 12 in points. Guard Tylor Perry is included, and he comes off a 23-point performance. Another is guard Cam Carter, who can make noise defensively as well, averaging 1.6 steals a game. The Wildcats also rank top four in the Big 12 in four defensive categories. 

K-State’s two big men, centers Will Mcnair Jr. and Jerrell Colbert, are a key reason K-State is second in the Big 12 for blocked shots — both averaging at least one a game. K-State also ranks second in field goal percentage defense with 37.7. If the Wildcats can contain the number of points from Oklahoma State’s many assets, their three-game losing streak could end. 

Key Players 

K-State 

Guard Tylor Perry 

Center Will McNair Jr. 

Oklahoma State

Guard Javon Small 

Forward Eric Dailey Jr.

Prediction: K-State 67 Oklahoma State 62