The independent student news publication at Kansas State University

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Editors’ Picks: Songs of March

The Collegian Editorial Board members pick their favorite songs of the month
Riley Scott
“Shameless” by Camila Cabello: Luke Lazarczyk

Need a good song to finish that last lap in the gym or one last bench press rep? “Shameless” has the best rhythm and beat drops. While I somewhat pay attention to the lyrics in this song and focus more on the rest, it’s still a great song to get into a zone.

“I Ain’t Got Time!” by Tyler, the Creator: Kaitlynn Faber

Time? I ain’t got it. I must have zoned out when Tyler, the Creator, wrote to “find some time to do something” in “Boredom” because I’ve found a lot to do but not the time to do it. My life is busy but brimming with joy, and there’s no time to waste. The clock’s always ticking, and the seconds are too valuable to drop on losers; “That’s a fact, boy!”

“Too Sweet” by Hozier: Libby Zuck

Listen, we have all heard this song on TikTok and it has been stuck in my head for weeks. Despite the fact it actually came out last week, I immediately turn it on every time I get in the car. The catchy lyrics and tune is never too sweet for me. 

“Rich Girl” by Daryl Hall and John Oates: Gwyneth Davidson

Spring is all about starting new things, and recently, I have taken up a new hobby: attending karaoke nights at Kite’s. My go-to song is the pop 80s classic “Rich Girl.” The catchy, smooth melody is contagious and gets the crowd singing too. I definitely recommend grabbing a friend and taking the stage together to sing “Rich Girl” on your next karaoke adventure. 

“Ain’t No Sunshine” by Bill Withers: Riley Scott

A seemingly ironic choice for the month of March to non-Kansans, “Ain’t No Sunshine” is in my ears often. My ears haven’t gotten enough of this song’s smooth beat, satisfying guitar and strings sharp enough to maim. Every element of this track comes in at just the right moment, making you feel just the right way. It’s always gone too long anytime it goes away.

“Wait a Minute!” by WILLOW: Cole Deutschendorf

This song is extremely catchy, and I think depending on who you ask you could definitely hear some spring vibes exuded. It has a bit of a mysterious tone at times, which just makes listening to it that much more interesting. It also is a song that is playable at many different times and moods. Overall it is a very versatile song that I listen to over the course of March. 

“Let It Happen” by Tame Impala: Carter Schaffer

Tame Impala’s lead song for his “Currents” album rings in at an intimidating eight minutes, but the song takes you on an instrumental trip worth listening to even if you can’t fit it on your playlist. Everything pays off when the bass line strums in for the final 92 seconds, putting an electric ending to kick off of an incredible alternative album.

“Wondering Why” by The Red Clay Strays: Kate Hermelink

As March marks the transition from winter to spring, the song’s lyrics resonate with a sense of longing and questioning, mirroring the anticipation and uncertainty that come with the onset of a new season.

“Lake Missoula” by Richy Mitch & The Coal Miners: Emma Lazarczyk 

Going into spring, it is a great time to slow down, escape from the business of classes and simply be. The soft melody creates a peaceful yet blossoming feel which perfectly encapsulates the feeling of spring. 

“We Are the People” by Empire of the Sun: Avery Johnson

As spring is upon us and the weather is getting warmer means it’s officially the perfect time of year to drive with the windows down and spend time outside with your friends. “We Are the People” features fun, uplifting beats with catchy lyrics making for a perfect song to listen to at any gathering. 

“Infrunami” by Steve Lacy: Meredith McCalmon

“Infrunami” perfectly captures the vibrant energy of springtime, complete with lively and soulful vocals. The calm but complex R&B vibe is extremely catchy and the infectious beat has me swaying with every listen.

“Rattlin’ Bog” by Carlyle Fraser: Cole Bertelsen

Because of this song’s Irish roots, it’s the perfect choice to play around St. Patrick’s Day. It’s always fun to play while partying, and singing along to this fast-paced folk song never fails to put a smile on my face.