Libraries Ambassadors’ Book Club: Hale Library’s newest novelty

K-State Libraries student ambassadors host Hale’s first book club meeting over “Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Cowens
Lexi Studebaker
Seven students gather to discuss the book “Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owens at the first book club meeting at Hale Library. The first meeting took place on March 20.

Kansas State Libraries held its first official book club meeting Wednesday, in Hale Library’s second-floor living room. Sponsored by the K-State Libraries ambassadors, the club’s main goal is to expand readers’ genres and encourage people to read things they would never have in any other situation.

“It’s not a book club if you’re only reading what you like,” Emma Stacy, freshman in English, said.

Seven members attended and discussed the first book, “Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Cowens, which they read over spring break.

Although small, the group’s members range from extroverted to introverted, bibliophiles to casual readers. The club’s diverse crowd presents different perspectives on various themes in the story, leading to a full and fun conversation.

“Where the Crawdads Sing” is an intense and emotional read about several heavy topics, such as substance abuse, family issues, isolation and the effects of poverty. It follows two intertwined timelines: the first follows Kya, a young girl surviving on her own in the marshes of North Carolina, and the other is a flashback to a murder case. 

“Seeing into such a different culture than our own here in Kansas is so interesting to me,” Victoria Droge, senior in microbiology and biological systems engineering, said.

The conversation shifted to different personal stories and how they relate to Cowens’ tales, creating an immersive atmosphere that helps make the story feel more real.

The club’s next book is “Stardust” by Neil Gaiman, a fantasy novel following Tristan Thorne’s travels to find a fallen star named Yvaine. It features an adventure full of mythical creatures, royalty, pirates and love.

To grab the book, ask the Hale Library help desk for the next book club book and join in on the story.