The independent student news publication at Kansas State University

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

BREAKING: Cam Carter enters transfer portal

The junior guard transfers after averaging 14.6 PPG
887 Views
Haylee Haslett
Guard Cam Carter puts his hand up in the “3” sign after hitting a 3-pointer against Iowa State. Carter went 3-8 on 3s in the 65-58 upset, finishing the game with 21 points.

Kansas State men’s basketball guard Cam Carter will enter the transfer portal according to On3’s Joe Tipton. 

Carter started for the Wildcats in the 2023-24 season, averaging 14.6 points, 5.0 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game.

The junior played two seasons at K-State, originally transferring from Mississippi State, where he averaged 2.2 points on 8.5 minutes per game. Carter was one of head coach Jerome Tang’s first transfers to Manhattan.

Carter’s 2023-24 season got off to a hot start, scoring over 20 points in three non-conference games. His numbers dipped in Big 12 play, scoring under double-digits five times and failing to reach a 50% shooting percentage since Feb. 3 in a 75-72 loss to Oklahoma State.

K-State will have to look to replace a majority of their scoring from this past season, with Carter and guard Tylor Perry leaving and possibly losing forward Arthur Kaluma to the draft. The Wildcats would lose its top three scorers and nearly 45 points per game. 

Along with Carter, Perry and possibly Kaluma — the Wildcats’ fourth leading scorer — center Will McNair Jr. (8.0 PPG) is graduating and forward David N’Guessan (7.9 PPG) has not decided yet to return for a sixth year of college basketball.

Guard Dai Dai Ames — who scored 16 points in the NIT loss to Iowa — as well as four-star guard recruit David Castillo, may be expected to take on the scoring burden without current knowledge of future incoming transfers.