The independent student news publication at Kansas State University

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Battle of the Cats ends in K-State throwing no-hitter

Jacob Frost and Jackson Wentworth pitched a combined no-hitter, K-State’s first since 1991
64 Views
Haylee Haslett
Pitcher Jacob Frost readies one of his 118 pitches against Cincinnati. In the 4-0 Wildcat win, Frost pitched seven innings in the combined no-hitter, the first since 1991.

Over 33 years had gone by since Kansas State baseball threw a no-hitter. On Friday, March 8, 2024, starting pitcher Jacob Frost threw seven hitless innings with relief pitcher Jackson Wentworth finishing off the final two innings for a combined no-hitter. K-State opened Big 12 play in historic fashion in the 4-0 defeat of Cincinnati.

“We got a really phenomenal start from a really talented kid who stuck with the game when it doesn’t always reward you, and he was rewarded tonight, Jacob Frost,” head coach Pete Hughes said. “I thought he was awesome against a veteran, gritty Cincinnati team.” 

The crowd’s energy grew once the top of the ninth hit, cheering with each strike Wentworth threw. Although he wasn’t able to achieve an immaculate inning, he struck out the Bearcats on ten pitches, completing he and Frost’s no-hitter on 144 pitches and nine strikeouts combined. 

“I just had to go in there and know that my stuff’s good enough where they won’t touch it, and just have that kind of confidence, just to throw every pitch with conviction and just, get them out each time, no matter what the outcome is for it,” Wentworth said. “Just keep throwing the best stuff at them.” 

While pitching took center stage, the Wildcats began scoring early in the second inning. Two singles from outfielder Nick English and third baseman Danniel Rivera and a walk from Raphael Pelletier loaded the bases. English scored a run from an RBI single from first baseman David Bishop.

Shortstop Kaelen Culpepper made his own contribution in the third inning. He doubled to right center in the bottom of the third after getting out from a batter’s interference in the first inning. Second baseman Brady Day hit a homerun, his fourth of the season to bring the score to 3-0. 

Pelletier was the star player in the bottom of the sixth inning, grabbing K-State’s final run with a solo home run to right field.

Winning this Big 12 opener game was essential for the Wildcats after losing back-to-back games by a combined 18 runs.

“Today, this game was the start of us getting our national reputation back,” Hughes said. “And how do you do that? You perform in one of the best conferences in the country. And you do that by winning the series.” 

The win improves K-State’s record to 8-5 as the series continues against Cincinnati at 5 p.m. Saturday.