K-State to host third annual Social Media Week

K-State Social Media Week has a series of in-person and virtual events March 4-8

The A.Q. Miller School of Media and Communication partnered with the K-State Division of Academic Success and Student Affairs to present the third annual K-State Social Media Week on March 4-8.

This event will consist of in-person and virtual events featuring topics in artificial intelligence, social media careers, content creation and more. 

Jana Thomas, event chair and professor of practice, said this event serves to unite students, faculty, content creators and social media users to understand the professional aspect of trends across various platforms.

“My teaching, research and industry work are dedicated to bringing people together to discover new insights and applications of social media personally and professionally,” Thomas said. “K-State Social Media Week is also a reflection of this mentality, encouraging the campus community to dive deeper beyond what they currently know about social media and explore what’s coming next.”

Hannah Humes, senior in communication studies, said anyone can be part of social media, and this event demonstrates that.

“With a little bit of support and a little bit of learning, training and putting in the work, you can really create a solid foundation to branch out to the world of social media,” Humes said. 

Thomas said a highlight of this year’s event is welcoming back alumnus Cameron Banning to discuss life after college, his dynamic experience in social media and offer advice to future social media enthusiasts and career professionals.

“He’s so graciously coming back to campus to talk about his journey from being a K-State student to a brand partnerships manager at TikTok,” Thomas said. “He really cares about K-State and is eager to share his experience and knowledge to help pave the way for future social media professionals.”

Thomas Lane, vice president for academic success and student affairs and dean of students, said K-State Social Media Week offers a time for self-reflection.

“I think it provides campus community members an opportunity to evaluate their own social media use in a rapidly changing world and a diverse society,” Lane said. 

Lane said the artificial intelligence panel will address the presence of AI online. 

“The intersection between AI and social media is a multifaceted and rapidly evolving field with significant implications for individuals, businesses and society,” Lane said. “Because AI presents both opportunities and challenges, students need to learn to harness the potential of AI technologies for positive societal impact while addressing the challenges and ethical considerations they present.”

More information on K-State Social Media Week events can be found on K-State’s website under the A.Q. Miller of School of Media and Communication section.