Three reasons to become politically active

Why being politically active is important, even in the modern age

A wise man once said, “Just because you don’t take an interest in politics, doesn’t mean politics won’t take an interest in you.” Of course, I doubt Pericles could have foreseen what politics would become. Young adults confront a complicated political world with cell phones and social media. It offers challenges but also so many reasons to be active politically.

Giving back

The founders intended a government based on personal freedoms of the people. You have inalienable rights. The only caveat is you are free until you infringe on the freedom of others. By being politically active, voting, campaigning and volunteering, we give back to the founders. We give back to the work in progress that is our country. 

Self-expression

There is momentary joy when you hand in a ballot. Whether you send it through the mail or in person, you’ve made democracy work. You can know you’ve put part of yourself into that paper — it’s democracy in action. 

Healthier dialogues

Becoming politically active helps you to find like-minded peers. Even better, it helps you find people who don’t think like you. Discussions between groups don’t have to give us anxiety; they can be an opportunity for growth and to sharpen our rhetoric. We can realize there are other perspectives besides our own. Whatever we believe, we must be able to communicate. Good dialogue leads to good discussions, and good discussions lead to understanding.