Know Your Opponent: Wildcats have a chance to revive season vs. BYU

Wildcats desperately seek win as losing streak continues
Avery Johnson
Senior David N’Guessan moves the ball away from the TCU defense. K-State lost to the TCU Horned Frogs with a final score of 75-72 following a game-winning 3-point shot on Feb. 17 at Bramlage Coliseum.
K-State 15-11 (5-8) 

The Wildcats lost seven of their past eight games. Kansas State’s most recent loss comes at the hands of the Texas Longhorns. Although the Wildcats again made some late-game heroics, it was not enough to earn the win. This is a common theme for K-State, as its past five games were decided by six or less points. If K-State can finish strong alongside a better start, the team can win.

No. 25 BYU 19-7 (7-6) 

The Cougars come off a huge win over No. 13 Baylor. BYU looked lethal against the Bears, as the Cougars racked up 16 offensive rebounds and 20 second-chance points to secure a win. The Cougar defense stepped up too, forcing Baylor to shoot 5-20 from deep. The Wildcats’ issues obtaining rebounds offensively and defensively could lead to BYU’s second win over K-State this season.

Matchup to Watch: K-State backcourt vs. BYU offensive consistency 

K-State’s backcourt duo, Cam Carter and Tylor Perry, proved they are the number one options for the Wildcat offense at times. Perry’s occasional clutch antics and Carter’s relentless attack toward the basket is hard for a lot of D-I defenses to handle. Perry and Carter both average about 15 points a game and if both can connect, BYU will need to adjust fast. However, Carter and Perry have flaws. Poor shooting slumps and frequent turnovers may allow BYU to take advantage and score.

Seven BYU players average nine or more points. The Cougars’ leading scorer is senior guard Jaxson Robinson, who averages 13.9 points per game. Following him is junior guard Trevin Knell who averages 11.6 points. 

Last game against Baylor, BYU as a team made 14 3-pointers — only three of the nine BYU players did not make a deep shot. If BYU can hit the 3 balls and force K-State to take bad shots, this game can get messy for the Wildcats.

Key Players 

K-State 

Guard Cam Carter 

Guard Tylor Perry 

BYU 

Guard Jaxson Robinson 

Guard Trevin Knell 

Prediction: BYU 77-71