No. 2 Kansas State upset in nail-biter against Oklahoma

Wildcats lose its second game of the season in close battle with Sooners
Avery Johnson
Forward Gisela Sanchez makes her way around the BYU defense. The Wildcats beat the Cougars Jan. 27 67-65 at Bramlage Coliseum.

Kansas State women’s basketball dropped its second game of the year with a loss in Norman, Oklahoma. The game went back and forth and came right down to the wire with Oklahoma narrowly escaping the Wildcats 66-63.

The Wildcats started 7-0 as forward Gisela Sanchez came out hot, scoring a 3-pointer and layup. The Sooners eventually made the score 7-4, but Sanchez continued to produce, knocking down another long ball.

Oklahoma also found success from distance early on. The Sooners hit two 3-pointers to help tie the game. The first quarter would end in K-State’s favor, up 16-14. Sanchez scored 10 of the Wildcats’ 16 points in Quarter 1.

The two teams would battle back and forth until guard Zyanna Walker’s defensive antics helped K-State build a lead.

Walker grabbed back-to-back steals, both resulting in two fast break points from Sanchez and Walker herself. This would give K-State a five-point lead, but the Sooners caught up, tying the game at 33 going into halftime.

K-State came out the half draining two 3-pointers, one from guard Serena Sundell and the other from guard Brylee Glenn. The Sooners again responded with their own 3-point success, tying the game at 39-39. The Wildcats would make five 3-pointers total in Quarter 3, all coming from different players. 

The last came from guard Gabby Gregory and it gave K-State a 53-51 lead heading into the fourth.

The 3-pointers kept raining for the Wildcats as guard Jaelyn Glenn knocked down two in the fourth quarter. The second 3-pointer from Jaelyn Glenn tied the game at 59.

After Jaelyn Glenn’s two long balls, the Sooners finally broke away, going up four with success in the post. K-State failed to climb back in the game as the offense sputtered, leading to Oklahoma’s victory.

Sanchez finished the night with 18 points and nine rebounds. Sundell had a near triple-double, totaling 15 points, 10 rebounds and eight assists. Jaelyn Glenn would have 11 points with three shots from the perimeter. 

The Wildcats look to bounce back, traveling to Austin, Texas, to take on the Longhorns at 1 p.m. Sunday.