Editors’ Picks: Songs of January

The Collegian Editorial Board members pick their favorite songs of the month
Mekaila Rickert
“New Year’s Day” by Taylor Swift: Emma Lazarczyk

Falling perfectly in theme with January and the first month of the new year, this sweet contemporary sets an optimistic and endearing tone to enter 2024. 

“Cold” by Chris Stapleton: Cole Bertelsen

This song feels pretty relevant considering the constant freezing temperatures this month. While this is a great mournful song about failed relationships, I mainly hum it to myself to complain about the frosty weather. “Cold” is a good soundtrack for the chilly winter blues. 

“Take What You Want” by Post Malone, Ozzy Osbourne, Travis Scott: Luke Lazarczyk

There’s many famous trios: Spongebob, Patrick and Squidward; LeBron, Wade and Bosh; Luke, Leia and Han. Now, hear this wild trio come together for an absolute banger.

“Feather” by Sabrina Carpenter: Gwyneth Davidson

A new year means new beginnings, and Sabrina Carpenter’s “Feather” belts the joy of starting fresh and feeling lighter than a feather. It is time to ditch that baggage, whether it’s a person or a bad habit, and realize they’re “a waste of time.” 2024 is about putting a little pink bow on what matters most: yourself. Put this song on repeat and embrace the feeling of bettering yourself and cutting toxic things out of your life. 

“Let Me Down Easy” by Daisy Jones and the Six: Margaret Latenser

Hands down my favorite book I have read in the last couple years, “Daisy Jones and the Six” has an amazing soundtrack. Every song is emotional, exciting and well written. After watching the book’s TV adaptation one or maybe four times, I decided “Let Me Down Easy” is my favorite. I love a song that gets my leg tapping, and this one does just that. 

“Beautiful” by Lana Del Rey: Meredith McCalmon

Lana Del Rey combines soft vocals with dreamy instrumentals to perfectly encapsulate the cold of January. This is a song about turning a negative situation into a “beautiful” one, which is the perfect message to carry into a new year. 

“Out of Time” by The Weeknd: Carter Schaffer

My senior year continues to be a cruel reminder that you’ll always need just a bit more time right when you run out. Everyone eventually runs out of time to seize the moment, so take every chance you can before it’s gone.

“Hey There Delilah” by Plain White T’s: Cole Deutschendorf

This is less a song that reminds me of January and more of a song that I just love. It’s my go-to for karaoke, and overall a very solid song that always makes me happy, even though the topic isn’t the most cheery. 

“‘tis the damn season” by Taylor Swift: Avery Johnson

It’s January, which means it’s really, really cold outside. The joy of the holidays is over, which means the cold is no longer enjoyable. This song touches on falling into old habits, especially when you’re back in your hometown. 

“Lose Control” by Teddy Swims: Kate Hermelink

This song encompasses feeling out of place and disconnected from yourself. The company of another person helps relieve those feelings. Coming back from break feels sweet because you get to see all your friends and be together once again. 

“My House” by Beyoncé: Kaitlynn Faber

Self-assured, rowdy and full of attitude, “My House” radiates the energy I’m taking into 2024. It’s a call for self-love and taking control of your own well-being and is just another reason why if Beyonce wouldn’t do it, then neither will I, and Beyonce doesn’t miss.