The independent student news publication at Kansas State University

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

K-State lands transfer scorer Max Jones

Men’s basketball adds another shooter to the 2024-25 roster
219 Views
Avery Johnson
K-State men’s basketball head coach Jerome Tang sings the K-State alma mater with students following the Wildcat win over the Baylor Bears. The Wildcats beat the Bears 68-64 in overtime on Jan. 16 at Bramlage Coliseum, putting the Wildcats 10-0 in overtime under coach Tang.

Kansas State basketball found a scorer. California State University, Fullerton transfer guard Max Jones committed to head coach Jerome Tang and staff May 9, according to On3’s Joe Tipton.

Following the offseason losses of freshman guards Dai Dai Ames, RJ Jones and Arthur Kaluma, coupled with a portal miss on transfer Khalif Battle, the Wildcats owned a glaring need for a bucket-getter. 

Enter Jones, who commits to K-State over Louisville and Texas Tech — among others — as potential suitors, according to Tipton. 

Transfer guard Max Jones during his visit to K-State. Jones enters Manhattan with one year of eligibility from Cal State Fullerton. (Photo Courtesy of K-State Athletics)

The 6-foot-4 guard averaged 15.3 points per game for the Titans this year while posting a clip of 39.5% from beyond the arc. Before his two years at Cal State Fullerton, Jones spent a pair at Tampa where he was named Sunshine State Conference Freshman of the Year. 

Jones marks the fifth transfer portal addition for K-State, joining center Baye Fall and three other guards: Dug McDaniel, CJ Jones and Brendan Hausen. He enters Manhattan with one year of eligibility remaining. 

The Wildcats have four scholarship spots open as they look to complete their roster for 2024-25.