Campus Compass: Kansas State Libraries

Campus Compass: Kansas State Libraries
Kaitlynn Faber

With finals rapidly approaching, Kansas State Libraries are a sanctuary for students with upcoming projects. Beyond laptop rentals, regular book checkouts and Joyce and Joe’s Cornerstone Cafe, the K-State Libraries are vital for student success.

K-State Libraries has four locations on the Manhattan Campus: Hale Library, the Math/Physics Library, Paul Weigel Library of APDesign and the Veterinary Medical Library. Each has specialized librarians and staff to help with anything from finding a resource to launching research for a project. Here are a few resources they offer.

Research

Kansas State Libraries have the resources and tools to help with any research from databases to archives, special collections and more. Research resource information is located on the K-State Libraries Research & Find website, along with a link to research guides to help students with projects they don’t know how to start.

Textbook rentals

According to its website, K-State Libraries have saved students $6.8 million since 2013, and one way it does that is through textbook rentals.

To help students save money on textbooks, K-State Libraries offers two options: digital textbooks and textbooks on reserve. Digital textbooks allow students to pay $10 to access all its books digitally for one class while the reserve option allows students to check out the textbook physically for up to two hours a day.

The Libraries’ textbook page offers guides for using digital textbooks, finding a textbook on reserve and more.

Reservation rooms

While all the buildings have study spaces, Hale has 18 study, lecture and conference rooms.

The free-to-use rooms can hold 2-30 people depending on the space, and reservations can be made up to four months in advance. Almost every room has a monitor, HDMI cable and outlets.

To reserve a collaboration room, click “reserve a room” on the Library’s collaboration room page to find the scheduling website.

Sunderland Foundation Innovation Lab

Need a 3D printer, sewing machine or a Cricut Maker 3? Believe it or not, Hale has these tools available for use in the Sunderland Foundation Innovation Lab.

Located on the second floor of Hale, the innovation lab has the technology to make ideas a reality. It includes sound, immersion, AI and media studios.

Those looking for more information on everything the Innovation Lab offers can visit its page on the K-State Libraries website.