Baseball loses against host No. 25 UCF in series opener

The Wildcats lose their grip on the Knights for a 7-4 loss
Grace Parks
Left fielder Chuck Ingram points out after making it to first base in Game 3 against Texas. Ingram took the lead for the Wildcats against UCF but ultimately loss 7-4.

The Wildcats fought for the lead in the first four innings but fell 7-4 in the opening game at No. 25 UCF. They finally surpassed the Knights in the fifth inning with a run from left fielder Chuck Ingram. However, the Knights managed to score five runs in the last four innings, ultimately placing them on top.

Both teams started scoring runs in the third inning. Ingram started with a triple to right field and made it to home plate after a fielding error. The Knights responded with two runs of their own, raising the score to 2-1.

The Wildcats were dominant in the fourth and fifth innings. Third baseman Jaden Parsons and Ingram each scored a run in the fourth and fifth inning, respectively.

The Knights started their comeback in the sixth inning. Knights first baseman Lex Boedicker homered to right field, allowing second baseman Braden Calise to score as well. Going into the seventh inning the Knights took the lead once more, 4-3. 

The Wildcats struggled offensively and defensively in the eighth inning. On the second play in the top of the eighth, designated hitter Nick English advanced to second base, which was the farthest the Wildcats got to scoring a run. 

In the bottom of the eighth, pitcher Jacob Frost allowed the Knights to make three hits and score three runs, putting the Knights in the lead 7-3. 

The Wildcats showed promise of a comeback in the ninth inning. After Ingram struck out swinging, center fielder Brendan Jones homered to right field, bringing hope for the Wildcats and improving the score to 7-4 Knights. 

In the next couple of plays, shortstop Kaelen Culpepper was able to advance to second on a wild pitch. However, English grounded out before Culpepper could score, ending the game with a three-run loss. 

This opener loss places the Wildcats at a 19-9 overall record and a 6-4 conference record. K-State will continue series play at 5 p.m. Saturday.