Wildcats gain needed win over Texas Tech in regular season finale

Mallory Schroeder
Guard Gabby Gregory prepares to shoot the ball in the Wildcats win out McNeese State 101-30 on Dec. 6, 2023. Against Texas Tech on Saturday, Gregory scored 13 along with four assists and four rebounds.

Kansas State women’s basketball turned things around, defeating Texas Tech 73-49 in the last game of the regular season. The win ended a two-game losing streak and earned the Wildcats a double-bye in the Big 12 tournament.

The Wildcats played strong from the start, breaking a recent trend. The first quarter was won 14-6 with center Ayoka Lee and guards Gabby Gregory and Serena Sundell scoring all 14 points for K-State. 

Throughout the game, defense stood out for K-State. Texas Tech failed to reach a 30% shooting mark during the game, a stat led by K-State’s first half defense limiting the Lady Raiders to 20% in the first. 

By the end of the half, K-State led 36-17 with five players scoring five or more. Gregory and guard Brylee Glenn led the way with nine as Glenn scored all nine of her first half points in the second quarter.

K-State’s lead slowly grew as the game was never in question. By the end, four Wildcats scored in double figures with all nine Wildcats receiving minutes scoring at least two points. Gregory and Sundell led K-State with 13 points apiece as Lee brought in 11 and guard Jaelyn Glenn scoring 10.

K-State finished the season with a 24-6 record and 13-5 in Big 12 play. The Wildcats await their first game of the Big 12 tournament on Saturday, March 9, with hopes of winning the tournament title and a shot at home-court advantage in the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament.