The independent student news publication at Kansas State University

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Baseball wins series against Holy Cross

The Wildcats win series without pitcher Tyson Neighbors
112 Views
Mallory Schroeder
Southpaw pitcher Owen Boerema draws back for the pitch in Game 3 against Holy Cross. Boerema started the game and pitched for 5 2/3 innings, earning 11 strikeouts and the win for K-State.

Kansas State men’s baseball won its first game in the series against the Crusaders 17-11. On Saturday they suffered a close loss, 10-13. Today the Wildcats were able to gain the overall victory with another close game 5-4 with starting pitcher Owen Boerema earning the win with 11 strikeouts.

The first inning resulted in no runs from either team, a change of pace as both sides pitched efficiently.

Holy Cross got back to their ways from the series in the second inning, hitting a solo home run off Boerema. K-State responded back with a run batted in to tie the game 1-1 going into the third inning off a single from designated hitter Jayden Lobliner.

The Wildcats continued in the third inning starting with a single RBI. Lobliner came back up to bat and delivered, knocking in a two-run home run to go up 4-1. 

Shortstop Kaelen Culpepper was the star of the fourth inning. He gained an RBI single and also stole second base.

The last half of the game looked very similar. The Crusaders were able to score a run in the sixth, seventh and eighth innings, bringing the score to 5-4 K-State. 

“I do wish our team played with a little more urgency in the second half of that game,” head coach Pete Hughes said. “In order to win at our level and where we want to go, we have to extend leads and pull away from people.” 

Pitcher Jackson Wentworth struck out the side in the top of the ninth inning, resulting in a Wildcat win 5-4 and earning himself the save.

“I thought Jackson Wentworth was a calming presence when he came in and threw a lot of strikes and didn’t hurt himself,” Hughes said. 

This series win places No. 24 K-State at a 4-3 record. The Wildcats will host a three-day series against UMass Lowell starting Friday at 3 p.m.