Association of Residence Halls considers Derby Dining Center opening on Sundays

Should the dining halls be open or closed on Sundays?
Sydnee Shive
The Association of Residence Halls submitted a survey Monday for students to share their thoughts on whether dining halls should be open Sundays. (Archive photo)

Becky Clotfelter, office specialist at Kansas State, said the dining centers don’t have the staffing necessary to serve on Sundays.

“You have to have somebody to cover that time, but you can’t force someone to work more than 40 hours,” Clotfelter said. “We need more employees. … We also need student employees. We don’t even have 100 student employees, and we cover all that time.”

Derby Dining Center is open Monday through Saturday, while Kramer Dining Center is open Monday through Friday and Sunday.

Akayla Calhoun, student employment and training coordinator, said getting student and full-time staffing “has its own set of challenges.”

“I wouldn’t say we would be terribly [understaffed],” Calhoun said. “I would just be worried about the experience — we probably wouldn’t be able to open a lot of concepts on those days which would be a little unsatisfying for our residents. It would be incredibly difficult to do so with our current staffing.”

Ellie Haines, junior in elementary education and Derby Dining Center employee, said it would be more stressful to open an extra day because of how short-staffed the dining centers are.

“I feel like it would be positive in some aspects because you’re getting an extra day of pay, but also negative — we wouldn’t get a weekend,” Haines said. “I understand having to balance work and school and that it’s difficult, but I would still want my weekend.”

Morgan Hyatt, freshman in entrepreneurship, said it would be more convenient to have Derby Dining Center open on Sundays.

“If it was open on Sundays, I would spend a lot less money going to get my own food,” Hyatt said. “I would rather replace it [dining hours] with breakfast on Sundays just because I noticed a lot of people who go to K-State are religious so they go to church Sunday mornings, so they’re not really going to the dining halls for breakfast. If you close it for breakfast, that could get it so more people want to work Sunday evenings.”