K-State women’s basketball earns No. 4 seed in NCAA tournament

Wildcats get to host their first and second rounds of the NCAA tournament
1,051 Views
Grace Parks
The women’s basketball team celebrates after hearing their name called as the No. 4 seed in March Madness. This allows Manhattan to host the first two rounds of the tournament and gives K-State home court.

Editor’s note: Corrected Texas’ seeding.

Kansas State women’s basketball earned a top 4 seed in the NCAA tournament. Selection Sunday showed K-State was named as a No. 4 seed in Albany Region 2, playing against No. 13 seed Portland in the first round. With the top 4 seed, K-State will host their first and second round matchups.

K-State finished the season with a 25-7 record and 13-5 in conference play. 

K-State played without star center Ayoka Lee for seven games, going 4-3. The Wildcats grabbed multiple statement wins in its breakout season, defeating No. 1 seed Iowa and No. 1 seed Texas. 

The Big 12 tournament finished against the Longhorns in a 71-64 loss in the semifinal. The Wildcats went 1-1 in the conference tournament, defeating West Virginia 65-62 in the quarterfinals.

The Wildcats NCAA tournament will start at home in Bramlage Coliseum.

Update (7:45 p.m., March 17): The K-State Student Section X account said there will be an update later tonight for student tickets to the games. Tickets are currently available for everybody on the K-State Athletics website.

Update (9:50 p.m., March 17): Students can get free tickets to the first round by arriving at the K-State ticket office beginning at 9 a.m. Tuesday. Bring a form of student ID to show, and only one ticket can be claimed per student. Parking for the tournament is free by showing your Wildcat ID at the lot entrance, and students should park in the east lot entering Gate 8 off Kimball Avenue, according to an email from K-State Athletics.