Editors’ Picks: Songs of February

The Collegian Editorial Board members pick their favorite songs of the month
Grace Needham
“Northern Attitude” by Noah Kahan & Hozier: Carter Schaffer

“Northern Attitude” kicks off the incredible folk-pop album “Stick Season” by Noah Kahan, and the blend of his and Hozier’s voices make for a great song. Moving vocals, simple and foot-tapping instruments, and heartfelt lyrics all add up to a great song to get lost in a late-night drive to or put on while studying.

“Before I Forget” by Slipknot: Kaitlynn Faber

This time of year I live by my metal-morning playlist; it’s like shotgunning a Redbull at 7 a.m. on my way to class, except I saved myself about $2.88 before taxes. “Before I Forget” really resonates in the morning, because just like how Slipknot wears their masks to add to their supernatural allure, I add a thick coat of mascara before leaving the house. It also serves as a friendly reminder that I probably already forgot something for the day. 

“Fire Burning” by Sean Kingston: Cole Deutschendorf

I was listening to this song on my way to class Thursday, and I realized that I like the song quite a lot. The chorus specifically gets stuck in your head, but in a good way. It’s also a phenomenal date party song, if you have the pull with the right people to request it. 

“Dancing in the Moonlight” by Toploader: Kate Hermelink

This is a timeless song that evokes a sense of joy, freedom, and warmth. February can often feel like a month caught between winter and spring, with people yearning for warmer days and brighter skies. “Dancing in the Moonlight” is a feel-good anthem perfect to brighten up the month and lift your spirits during the final stretch of winter.

“Family Tree” by Ethel Cain: Meredith McCalmon

Ethel Cain is the best artist to emerge in the past five years. I enjoy listening to music that provokes emotion, and her music does just that. Her concept album “Preacher’s Daughter” creates a narrative about a young girl who leaves her religious upbringing only to be murdered and cannibalized by her lover. “Family Tree” is on repeat for me. Its somberly powerful lyrics combined with intense instrumentals create a haunting sound that incites a visceral reaction each time I listen. 

“Under The Tree – Full Version ” by SIM: Luke Lazarczyk

Serving as the song for the final season of “Attack on Titan,” this song always hyped me up and kept me locked in. Its greatness blessed my ears as I completed a new max bench, creating a memory for the month.

“The Sound” by The 1975: Avery Johnson

Back when this song was released in 2016, I was instantly obsessed with it. When a song remains on my playlist eight years later, that’s how I know it is a top favorite. It’s upbeat and electronic, making it a perfect song to groove to while walking to class. For the days I’m in a bad mood, it instantly lifts me up. 

“23” by Chayce Beckham: Cole Bertelsen

Following the story of a young man growing up, going through the stages of partying, then reflecting on how alcoholism affected him, this song made quite an impression on me. The mournful lyrics pair with the passionate singing perfectly. It’s a great song to listen to in a party scene, or when you feel more contemplative. With Fake Patty’s Day coming up, I’ll definitely be blasting this song.

“In Cold Blood” by alt-J: Riley Scott

Despite this song’s age, I recently discovered it and have it in constant rotation. The song’s vibe is incredibly infectious, especially during the song’s sax-fueled breakdown. “In Cold Blood” makes it incredibly difficult to not bob your head or tap your foot. The dark tone and deep sound seems to scratch a certain hidden itch somewhere inside my head.