REVIEW: The ‘Mean Girls’ musical revives the story for a new generation

The movie adaptation of the “Mean Girls” Broadway musical released in theaters Jan. 12, modernizing the 2004 classic movie starring Lindsay Lohan
Kaitlynn Faber

The 2024 film includes songs from the 2017 musical, adding a nice touch and furthering the plot. The production did a great job visualizing exactly how I wanted the movie to portray some of my favorite musical songs, like “Sexy,” performed in the new movie by Avantika Vandanapu.

Iconic songs like “World Burn” and “Revenge Party” with Angourie Rice and Reneé Rapp sharing the screen enhanced the movie, but excluding “Meet the Plastics” was a disappointment.

The remake had several nods to the original, with cameos from Lindsay Lohan and the return of the characters Ms. Norbury and Principal Duvall, played by the same actors but with a touching twist.

The casting was impeccable. Rapp, who performed as Regina on Broadway, had the same role in the movie adaptation, showing she’s not just a pop star or just an actress. However, with the film’s budget and importance to this generation, the casting of Cady Heron, played by Rice, was a letdown; her singing was so-so, and her character was annoying on screen. 

The remake did follow the original plot, characters and setting. Both films are spunky; one just had some dance breaks.

Still, the new film, even with a Lindsay Lohan cameo, has the audience wondering if the movie exists in the same universe as the original or something completely different.

Tina Fey, who wrote both films, told Entertainment Weekly that Mean Girls 2024 exists alongside the 2004 version in a “multiverse.” Still, the cameos and events of the film are an attempt to not interfere with the original.

This movie is still playing at the Manhattan AMC. It is excellent for a girl’s night outing or a memorable watch for any musical lovers, bringing depth and giggles to this generation.