The independent student news publication at Kansas State University

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Voting toward change: Kansans’ call to vote ‘none’ on March 19 DNC Primary

304 Views

In recent months, a critical question has troubled Americans: how can we, as citizens, ensure our voices resonate within the halls of power when it seems those in President Biden’s administration are turning a deaf ear to our pleas?

This question has become particularly poignant as we witness the escalating genocide in Gaza. The feeling is a mixture of frustration, helplessness, and a burning desire for change.

Despite our protests, letters, calls, and public demonstrations — while noble, seem to be hand waved away by the current administration. This apparent disregard for public sentiment on critical issues has pushed us toward reconsidering a more foundational aspect of democracy — our voting power.

The premise of this protest vote is straightforward.

Rather than endorsing Biden as the candidate for 2024 in the Kansas DNC Primary, join me and many other registered Democrats in selecting “none of the names shown.”

There seems to be an expectation from President Biden and the Democratic Party leadership in Washington that our outrage will gradually subside, leading us to relent. Yet, by choosing to vote for no one on March 19, we send a clear, unwavering message of our continuous demand for a ceasefire and an end to the funding of war crimes and genocide in Gaza.

We’re not just expressing discontent — we’re demanding for a ceasefire and an end to the support of war crimes and genocide in Gaza. This action is not merely a protest; it is a statement, a declaration that our values of justice are not up for negotiation.

This movement, expressing dissent through the ballot, has gained national momentum. During the Super Tuesday primaries, 101,000 Michigan residents voted “uncommitted,” representing about 13% of the vote. In Minnesota, nearly 19% of the primary votes were cast for the uncommitted category.

This gesture is a reminder to Biden that he serves at the pleasure of the people, and it is the peoples will that should guide his actions.

It’s important to clarify that this movement is not an endorsement of Trump or a wish for his return to power. Instead, it serves as an opportunity to scrutinize whether the DNC genuinely holds the support of his own party’s base.

The question remains: will the DNC listen to its constituents’ voices, or will our pleas to cease funding to Israel be ignored once more?

Nick McKee-Rist is a staff writer for the Collegian and a graduate in civil engineering. The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Collegian. Please send comments to [email protected].