The independent student news publication at Kansas State University

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Does Walking Burn More Fat Than Running?

Have you ever questioned whether walking or running is better for burning fat? Over the years, this has been a question that has baffled a lot of fitness enthusiasts. Even though both types of exercise have benefits, you might be surprised at the outcome. Let’s examine the science to determine which workout wins.

Introduction

Running and walking are two joint exercises with a history of helping people lose weight. Although it is well established that both types of exercise burn calories, the topic of whether walking or running burns more fat remains. Fitness enthusiasts have been debating the issue of whether walking or running burns more fat for years. 

While some contend that running is a better alternative for weight loss, others assert that walking is a superior choice. With so many opposing viewpoints, examining the data supporting these claims is critical to deciding which activity is most effective for burning fat.

A weight loss tracker app is an efficient technique to track progress and maintain weight loss objectives. Use weight loss software like the Lasta weight loss tracker app to monitor your weight reduction progress and include walking or running in your fitness regimen. 

With the Lasta weight tracking app, keeping track of your weight, progress, and any necessary changes to your food and exercise routine is simple. Get the app now to start working towards your weight loss objectives!

Statistics

Compared to walking, running burns more calories per minute. According to a Harvard Medical School study, a 155-pound person may burn 298 calories while running at a moderate speed for 30 minutes, compared to 149 calories while walking at the same pace for the same amount of time. Contrary to popular opinion, walking can, at least temporarily, burn more fat than jogging.

According to research in the Journal of Applied Physiology, those who walked for 30 minutes at a moderate speed burned 20% more fat than those who ran simultaneously. Before getting into an argument over whether exercise burns fat more quickly, it is critical to understand the benefits of both walking and running. 

Walking Has Many Advantages

Being a low-impact workout that is gentle on the joints, being portable and available at all times, and lessening the risk of developing chronic diseases like high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease are all reasons to walk. improving mood, lowering stress, and being a great way to boost daily physical activity, particularly for those with sedentary jobs.

Running Has the Following Advantages Over Walking

1. Burns more calories per minute
  2. Can enhance cardiovascular health and endurance
  3. Aids in developing and maintaining strong bones and muscles
  4. Can lift one’s spirits and lower stress levels
  5. Can be a great way to push oneself and establish fitness goals. 

As you can see, walking and running have specific advantages, so choosing one depends on your preferences, degree of fitness, and general health.

Compared to Running, Does Walking Burn More Fat?

Whether walking or running burns more fat is frequently asked, but the answer is ambiguous. The answer is based on several variables, including the exercise’s duration and intensity and the subject’s weight and fitness level.

Running often burns more calories per minute than walking. However, the method through which the body uses carbs and lipids as fuel during exercise is intricate. Walking is an example of a low-intensity activity where the body burns fat for energy. In contrast, the body prefers to use more carbs as a fuel source during higher intensities, such as running.

It is also essential to remember that walking only sometimes burns more fat than jogging or other forms of higher-intensity exercise. Instead, during lower-intensity activity, the body burns a higher proportion of fat compared to carbs. The total calories burned during the exercise session matter most for weight loss.

The choice between walking and running ultimately comes down to personal preference and level of fitness, but the basic fact is that both activities can be successful in shedding pounds. While running can be challenging and intense, walking may be a more fun and sustainable exercise for some people.

In general, compared to walking, running burns more calories per minute. However, the total number of calories expended during a workout depends on various variables, including duration and intensity, participant body weight, and degree of fitness. Walking can, therefore, still be an efficient exercise for weight loss, even though running may burn more calories per minute, especially for people who may not be able to withstand the high impact of running. 

Running vs. walking for weight loss depends on personal taste and fitness level. The Lasta weight tracking app can help you choose what is ideal. Thanks to its incredible features, this program can assist you more effectively.

Weight Tracker App Helps You

Whether you decide to run or walk, using a weight-tracking app can be a valuable tool to help you reach your weight-loss objectives. With a weight loss tracker app, you can measure your progress, keep tabs on your daily caloric intake, and create attainable goals. 

The following are some advantages of utilizing a weight loss tracking app:

Accountability

Keeping track of your dietary intake and workout routine keeps you honest and conscious of your behavior.

Motivation

Seeing progress over time may assist you in achieving your weight-loss goals.

Education

A weight loss tracker app can give you essential knowledge about diet and activity, assisting you in making decisions about your health.

Other Aspects to Consider

When contrasting walking with running for weight loss, there are other aspects to consider besides the intensity and duration of exercise. These consist of the following:

• Body Weight

You burn more calories while exercising if your body weight is higher. As a result, a heavier individual may burn more calories while jogging than a lighter one does while strolling.

• Physical fitness

While exercising, a physically fitter person will consume fewer calories than a less fit person while engaging in the same activity. The more fit person may need to run farther or faster to burn the same number of calories as someone who is less athletic yet walks moderately.

• Time Availability

Walking can be done longer than running because it is a low-intensity activity. So, if you’re pressed for time, walking can be a better choice than jogging.

• Injury Chance

Running has a high impact, increasing the likelihood of injury, particularly for people with joint problems. Walking has a mild effect and is less dangerous for damage.

• Long-Term Viability

The most successful workout regimens can be maintained. Therefore, whatever activity an individual finds to be the most fun and sustainable will ultimately determine whether to walk or run.

Guidelines for Losing Weight While Walking or Running

Whether you choose to run or stroll, the following advice will help you reduce weight as much as possible:

• Form a Habit: To form a habit, incorporate regular walking or running into your daily schedule.
  • Intensify Workout Gradually: If you’ve never exercised, start with moderate-intensity training and gradually build up to a more demanding exercise.
  • Mix It Up: Add diversity to your workout by varying the pace, length of time, or terrain.
  • Track Your Success: Use a weight loss tracker app to keep track of your success and, as necessary, modify your food and exercise routine.
  • Fuel Your Body: Eating a nutritious, balanced diet can encourage weight loss by supplying your body with the energy it needs for exercise.

Benefits of Walking and Running for Weight Loss

Beyond helping you lose weight, walking and running have many other health advantages. For example, they both enhance cardiovascular health and lower your chance of developing conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, and some types of cancer.

How to Successfully Lose Weight by Walking and Running

• Interval Training

Interval training, which alternates high-intensity activity with rest or lower-intensity exercise, can be used for walking and running. It has been demonstrated that interval training increases calorie burn and elevates cardiovascular health.

• Combining walking and running

Combining walking and running can result in a well-rounded workout regimen for individuals who like to do both. For instance, warm up with a quick walk, run moderately, and then stroll to cool down.

• Group Exercise

Joining a walking or jogging group or doing group exercise classes can give you social support, inspiration, and accountability to help you stick to your weight loss objectives.

• Consistency

When it comes to exercising and losing weight, consistency is essential. To get long-lasting improvements, include regular exercise in your daily regimen and stick with it.

Remember that maintaining a healthy, balanced diet is as crucial to losing weight as regular exercise. To assist your weight loss efforts, feed your body healthy meals and remain hydrated. You may track your progress, maintain motivation, and accomplish your objectives using weight loss tracker software like Lasta weight tracking App.

Conclusion

Running and walking are excellent exercises for losing weight, and choosing one depends on your preferences, degree of fitness, and general health. Even though walking burns fewer calories per minute than running, it can still help people lose weight, significantly if they cannot withstand jogging’s heavy impact.