Letters from Libby

When to move past the ‘ick’ in a relationship

Dear readers,

Getting the “ick” is a trending phrase on social media, and it describes the sensation of being disgusted by a partner because of something they do. Icks range from serious to silly things, like being unmotivated or simply drinking a glass of milk.

People end relationships and talking stages because of their icks, but why are they such a big deal?

There is a difference between a red flag and an ick, just like there is a line between something that can be excused rather than unforgivable. A cheater differs from someone who accidentally bumps a curb on a late-night drive — so why punish them both the same?

There comes a point in new relationships where you move to the next step, growing into a more serious connection. Getting worked up about minor flaws prevents what might be a great relationship.

Minor flaws are human. At the end of the day, if it’s an ick and not a red flag, it’s probably not important enough to stop talking to someone.

Why does it matter if your partner has minor road rage or rides a scooter down the streets of Aggieville? 

Allowing yourself to grow and get past some things a new partner does is the best way to increase your connection. Moving past the little things and overcoming small actions creates memories or even becomes something you admire about them.

So, the next time your new partner does something you find annoying or weird, take a step back, look at the situation differently and ask yourself: is this ick worth damaging this relationship?