The independent student news publication at Kansas State University

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Letters from Libby: Girlhood

How to be a ‘girl’s girl’ in this generation

The term “girl’s girl” is big right now. It describes someone we should all strive to be: a woman who uplifts and celebrates other women.

Being a girl’s girl goes beyond letting a stranger borrow your lipstick in a bar bathroom or whispering to a girl when her tag is out; it means looking out for other women in situations where it doesn’t benefit you. It means sending the hard “hey girly” text when a man has wronged her or checking yourself before letting jealousy cloud your judgment of another woman.

However, our generation is so focused on judging one another, often on social media, that some have forgotten how important it is to be a girl’s girl.

Woman to woman: why are we pitting ourselves against each other when it hurts everyone involved? How does judging one another benefit our lives?

Bringing down that random girl you went to high school with isn’t fun. Just because you had a class with them doesn’t mean you know anything about them.

Being a girl’s girl isn’t only about supporting your close friends. It’s about looking out for an ex’s ex or being friendly to a girl who your friend dislikes because, at the end of the day, we’re all just women trying to make more space for ourselves in a world built for men.  

So next time there is a conversation regarding that one girl you just didn’t get along with, don’t pitch in a comment on how you didn’t like her outfit last weekend; just smile and move on without a word. 

Right now, the world is girls versus girls. This year needs to be about uplifting each other and being there for a friend during the toughest times instead of gossiping about a woman’s problems behind her back. 

It’s not worth it to try and uplift yourself by tearing another woman down because how is it really benefiting you and your relationships with women?