Does Car Make And Model Affect Insurance Rates?

There are a wide range of factors that can have an effect on the cost of your insurance. One of these factors is the type of car you drive. In this article, we’ll take a look at the different ways that the make and model of your car can affect your insurance prices. 

How do car makes and models affect insurance rates?

When setting insurance rates, companies assess you and your car to determine how likely you are to file a claim based on existing data. If you are very likely to file a claim, you’ll typically need to pay higher insurance rates. 

In general, newer and more expensive cars are going to be the most expensive to insure. This is because these cars are the most expensive to repair if you get into an accident. Standard models with up-to-date safety features are typically the most affordable cars to insure. The more you customize your car or add luxury features, the more you will likely pay for car insurance coverage. 

What cars are most expensive to insure?

Brand-new cars often come with high insurance costs regardless of what model you choose. This is because they are usually the most expensive cars to repair. Luxury vehicles of any model or year are also going to be very expensive to insure. Not only are they expensive to repair or replace, but they also are a big target for thieves.  

Sports cars are also typically very expensive to insure, especially if they have powerful engines. It can be very difficult to repair or replace these engines if they get damaged, because they need very specific parts. Additionally, drivers of these cars are specifically more likely to race and engage in other dangerous driving behaviors, which puts them at risk for a crash. 

If your car model has a history of safety issues or being involved in accidents, it’s likely that insurers will charge a higher premium for it. It’s not uncommon for brands to recall cars if they are prone to safety problems. If your car has a recall out, your insurance premiums are very likely to go up. 

Certain car brands are known for having high insurance costs, most notably Tesla. This is because Tesla cars come with unique smart technology and luxury features that other brands don’t have. They are highly coveted and could require a specialist to repair or maintain, depending on the model you get. 

What cars are least expensive to insure?

The least expensive cars to insure are typically mid-sized cars, which many insurers view as the safest option to drive. The cheapest cars to insure are also usually standard cars without any modifications or flashy features. This makes the car much less of a target for thieves. If you’re looking for a car that’s cheap to insure, models with neutral paint colors and subtle design details are typically a safe bet. 

Older cars also tend to be very cheap to insure. Not only are they worth less overall, but drivers tend not to repair them if they are severely damaged. Many insurers work with the assumption that you will buy a new car rather than replace an old car when calculating insurance premiums. To lower your insurance premiums even further, consider installing updated safety features on an old car. Many insurers offer discounts for cars that have anti-theft devices and other safety features. 

There are also certain models of cars that are statistically very safe and rarely get involved in accidents. These cars are also typically simple to repair if they are damaged and don’t contain any rare parts. Cars like this are usually the most affordable to insure. This is why it is so important to research a car’s safety rating and find out if they have a history of safety problems before purchasing it. Some popular cars that are known for being relatively inexpensive to insure include the Jeep Wrangler, Honda Civic, Subaru Outback, and Ford Escape, just to name a few. 

What other factors affect insurance rates?

While your car’s make and model can definitely affect the overall cost of your insurance, this is not the only thing that your car insurance company will look for. They will also assess your driving history to determine how safe of a driver you are. They will look at factors like your experience level, the number of miles you drive each year, the number of tickets you’ve received (if any), and the number of accidents you’ve been in (if any). 

General demographics can also have an effect on your overall insurance rates. Your location can play a huge role in your overall insurance cost. New York is known for having some of the highest car insurance rates in the country, with some cities being more expensive than others. Other demographics your insurer may take into consideration include your age, gender, and marital status. 

How can I find low car insurance rates?

The best way to keep your car insurance rates low is by driving as safely as possible and only filing car insurance claims when absolutely necessary. Safety and driving history are a major factor to consider when determining the overall cost of your car insurance.  

When shopping for car insurance, be sure to consider a variety of different insurers, rather than just getting a quote from one provider. This is particularly important if you have a luxury car or sports car that is more expensive to insure. Each provider has their own methodology for calculating their car insurance rates, so your rates can vary widely between providers. 

On top of that, it is very important to ask about discounts when shopping for car insurance. Most car insurance providers offer at least a few discounts for their customers, and you might be surprised by the ones you qualify for. Some offer discounts for things you’re already doing, like owning a home, being a good student, or being married. Even small discounts can stack up over time.