Coveted transfer Achor Achor commits to K-State

Wildcats strike big in their latest portal addition
Reece Bachta
Transfer forward Achor Achor poses during his visit to Manhattan. Achor became the Wildcats’ second commit on May 16 and seventh overall for the 2024-25 season. (Photo courtesy of K-State Athletics)

Samford transfer Achor Achor decided to call Manhattan his new home. By committing to Kansas State men’s basketball on May 16, he became the second addition and the seventh portal acquire for the 2024-25 Wildcats.

Achor, a 6-foot-9 forward, averaged 16.1 points and 6.1 rebounds per game during his junior campaign at Samford, including 58.6% on all field goals and 43% from beyond the arc.

He was rated as the fourth best power forward still available in the portal, according to On3. That placed him just ahead of forward Arthur Kaluma, who entered the NBA Draft process in addition to entering the portal this offseason. 

Achor, a Melbourne, Australia native, slots into a roster that had a large need for an experienced power forward. He can also profile as the team’s big man when head coach Jerome Tang turns to a five-out offense. 

Achor brings NCAA Tournament experience, nearly upsetting Kansas in the opening round with 13th-seeded Samford. Achor scored 23 points while grabbing eight rebounds against the Jayhawks, including multiple highlight dunks. 

Achor’s addition, coupled with JUCO transfer Chimobi Ikegwuruka earlier today, brings much-needed vertical talent to the roster. Achor also spent time at the JUCO level prior to Samford, playing at Chipola College — the former stomping grounds of Nae’Qwan Tomlin. 

At Chipola, Achor played a key role in the Indians making back-to-back NJCAA Final Four appearances. He brings a year of eligibility to the table. 

While the Wildcats will look different in 2024-25, the roster is starting to take shape. Fans can expect to see Michigan transfer Dug McDaniel as the starting point guard, Achor as the starting power forward and returning big man David N’Guessan at the five. 

With two remaining openings, Tang and staff will look to land more high-level talent. The jury is still out on Kaluma’s decision — his decision to enter the portal does not exclude a return to the Little Apple.