From the Archives: Tribute to graduating senior editorial staff

The Collegian showcases archived work from the four graduating editorial board members
The 2023-34 Collegian staff poses for a photo for the Royal Purple Yearbook. (Photo courtesy of Madison Riebel | Royal Purple Yearbook)

For the final issue of the spring 2024 semester, The Kansas State Collegian would like to honor its graduating senior editorial staff members by highlighting them and their favorite work for the newspaper.

Editors, thank you. Congratulations on graduating, connecting our community and finding time to publish the truth amid the chaos of college. You’ve made us proud, and we are honored to bear your dedication to journalism within the newspaper’s history. We’re excited to see the great things you accomplish as both university and Collegian alums.

Luke Lazarczyk: Sports Editor

Luke Lazarczyk worked for The Collegian Media Group for all four years of his college experience. He wrote for The Collegian for two and a half years, working as the sports editor for two.

Lazarczyk said his favorite story he wrote is “Joy, excitement and relief: K-State’s selection show watch party and journey ahead” from March 19, 2024. 

“The whole season and story of K-State women’s basketball was cool to witness up close,” Lazarczyk said. “Covering the Selection Show watch party and writing the story on the team earning a top 4 seed to host two March Madness games felt rewarding for myself and the team. It was hype.”

During his time at The Collegian, Lazarczyk attended the Pop-Tart Bowl to cover the K-State Football team, which became his favorite memory with the publication.

“Though I’ve had great times with many people, nothing will top the Pop-Tart Bowl,” Lazarczyk said. “The entire event was unique and amazing. Still, the people I hung out and worked with made it even that much more special.”

Lazarczyk said he is grateful for his time at The Collegian, but more importantly, he is grateful for the people he worked with.

“For my CMG members throughout the years, I just want to say thank you,” Lazarczyk said. “The Collegian and CMG has brought me a large collection of great friends and people I truly care for. I hope that the staff continues to make those connections and to remember to create a positive working environment where everyone is heard, cared for and appreciated.”

Cole Deutschendorf: Page Design Chief

Cole Deutschendorf worked for The Collegian for one year as page design chief. During his time here, he said his favorite front-page design was either Issue 21, with a story covering the K-State Rodeo and Weber Arena, or Issue 23, with a story covering the SGA president vetoing a bill that would compensate student senators.

“The rodeo page was fun just because we did a different font,” Deutschendorf said. “My process for picking fonts is simple, I just look for commercial-use fonts that look ‘tuff’ and this one just so happened to fit the story and the page perfectly.”

Deutschendorf said his final Thursday production workshop was one of his best experiences.

“My favorite Collegian memory is probably the last night that I was there for the full production night,” Deutschendorf said. “Getting B-Dubs …  and being absolutely blessed by the workers, and then just kind of enjoying the last night together as a team.”

Deutschendorf said his time with the newspaper was an honor.

“All of the long nights spent in Kedzie were made worth it by seeing the need that we filled every Friday morning to inform and educate the student population and beyond,” Deutschendorf said.

Gwyneth Davidson: Marketing & PR Manager

Gwyneth Davidson worked at The Collegian for two years and was marketing & PR manager for eight months.

Davidson said her favorite stories she worked on are “Ahearn Field House stays: just with a new look” from Dec. 2, 2022 or “Savoring Creativity: First annual MAC & Cheese Arts & Music Festival” from March 28, 2024.

“My favorite part about [the Ahearn] story was being able to talk to Kansas State community members about how this would affect their noon basketball tradition that has been going on since the 70s,” Davidson said. “I actually went to their basketball game and talked to them and listened to all their stories about how much noon basketball meant to them. It was super personal and showed the other side of losing certain spaces of Ahearn.”

Davidson said The Collegian impacted her through networking and educational opportunities.

“My favorite Collegian memory was going to New York for the CMA conference,” Davidson said. “It was really inspiring to hear from guest speakers like the managing editor of the New York Times, Marc Lacey. I also got to meet other students with an interest in journalism and mass communications.”

Davidson’s final piece of advice to K-State students, aspiring journalists and Collegian members is to step outside of their comfort zone.

“Find the story within the story,” Davidson said. “Don’t be afraid to ask uncomfortable questions.”

Carter Schaffer: Editor-in-Chief

Carter Schaffer worked for The Collegian for two and a half years, and worked as editor-in-chief for two. 

During his time here, Schaffer said his favorite story he ever wrote was “Ian Punnett, professor and Wildcat 91.9 advisor, dies at 63” from Dec. 23, 2023.

“Ian Punnett was a dear friend to me and everyone in journalism at K-State, and I was both very honored to write this for the community and to talk to those whose lives were so touched by Ian,” Schaffer said.

Schaffer said covering the protests around Nae’Qwan Tomlin were also meaningful to him.

“When the Nae’Qwan Tomlin protest happened last semester, I really enjoyed going out into the field and reporting on it with my team,” Schaffer said.

Schaffer said he is grateful for everything The Collegian did for him and the people around him.

“The Collegian has given me so many memories and opportunities, and I wouldn’t be in the position or have the friends today without it,” Schaffer said. “Getting to watch those around me grow into stronger journalists and people has been my greatest joy these past two years. Do everything through love, and do everything you can in your short time at K-State.”