UK Can Cut C02 by 8.7M Tonnes If They Switch to Electric Vehicles

The world is now facing the harsh consequences of carbon dioxide emissions on the environment, and urgent measures need to be taken to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. One major contributor to these emissions is the transportation sector, which accounts for approximately 20% of global carbon dioxide emissions.

The United Kingdom (UK) has been at the forefront of the transition from traditional fuel vehicles to electric vehicles. The country is projected to cut its carbon dioxide emissions by 8.7 million tonnes annually if more people switch to electric cars. This will not only reduce carbon emissions but also help create a greener and more sustainable UK.

The benefits of switching to electric vehicles are immense, reducing carbon dioxide emissions and saving money on fuel costs.

The Environmental Impact of Switching to Electric Vehicles

Electric cars have emerged as a clean and sustainable alternative to traditional fuel vehicles. They offer significant environmental benefits, as they produce zero emissions while driving. The UK can significantly reduce its carbon footprint and minimise the devastating effects of diesel emissions by switching to EVs, essential for meeting the country’s ambitious climate targets.

A recent study by EDF highlights the potential impact of switching to electric cars in the UK. The findings reveal that such a transition could lead to a significant reduction of 8.7 million tonnes in carbon dioxide emissions annually. Furthermore, their analysis reveals a startling fact: traditional, larger SUVs produce carbon emissions that are nearly 10% higher than the average car. A survey conducted by the energy provider revealed that only 53% of current SUV owners are contemplating switching to electric vehicles, despite over 60% acknowledging the environmental benefits of EVs.

Philippe Commaret, Managing Director for Customers at EDF, emphasises the growing popularity of SUVs among drivers due to their style and spaciousness. However, he highlights the need for more awareness among drivers about reducing their carbon footprint without sacrificing the body type of their SUVs.

Apart from reducing carbon emissions, electric cars also offer other environmental benefits. One of the most significant benefits is the reduction of air pollution. Traditional fuel vehicles emit harmful gases such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide, and particulate matter, contributing to air pollution. The Dieselgate scandal is a poignant example of the unchecked presence of harmful pollutants in our air. This scandal exposed the alarming prevalence of unethical practices within the automotive industry and highlighted the widespread use of emissions-cheating devices. As a result, numerous recalls were initiated, colossal fines were imposed, and thousands of diesel emission claims emerged, amounting to millions, if not billions, of dollars.

Another significant environmental benefit of electric cars is the reduction of noise pollution. Electric cars operate silently, which is a significant advantage over traditional fuel cars that produce noise pollution, contributing to the deterioration of the environment.

Cost Benefits of Switching to Electric Vehicles

Besides environmental benefits, switching to electric vehicles can be a more cost-effective option for car owners. Electric cars offer a significant cost benefit in terms of fuel costs compared to traditional fuel vehicles.

The cost of charging an electric car is significantly lower than refuelling a traditional fuel car. On average, costs around 32p per kWh. Electric cars are approximately two times cheaper to run than traditional fuel cars.

Another cost benefit of electric cars is the lower maintenance costs. Unlike traditional fuel cars, electric vehicles have fewer moving parts, requiring less maintenance. This translates into cost savings for car owners, who are less likely to spend money on repairs or replacements.

Moreover, electric cars, such as Vehicle Excise Duty (VED), are exempt from taxation and are eligible for other financial incentives. Additionally, electric vehicles are exempt from the London Congestion Charge, which can result in significant cost savings for car owners.

Conclusion

Electric cars have emerged as a sustainable alternative to traditional fuel vehicles, which offer significant environmental and cost benefits. In the UK, the transition to electric cars is gaining momentum, and with the increasing shift towards sustainable energy production, this trend is likely to continue.

The UK stands to gain immensely from a transition to electric cars, including significant cost savings, reduced carbon emissions, and a cleaner and healthier environment.

Electric vehicles provide a promising solution to the environmental challenges facing the world today. As technology advances and infrastructure improves, electric cars are expected to become even more popular. A move towards electric cars could not be timelier, and the UK is on course to become one of the world’s leading EV markets, paving the way for a cleaner and more sustainable future. Click here if you own a diesel or petrol vehicle and want to learn more about how you can make a difference.