The independent student news publication at Kansas State University

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

K-State Black Student Union receives awards at Big 12 conference on Black Student Government

BSU members from around the country gathered at Iowa State to participate in workshops, explore cultural issues and share ideas
187 Views
Janiya Cato was elected chair of the Big 12 Council on Black Student Government at this year’s Big 12 Conference on Black Student Government. The event was held from Feb. 29 to March 2 at Iowa State. (Photo Courtesy of Janiya Cato)

Approximately 30 students from Kansas State attended the 47th annual Big 12 conference on Black Student Government hosted by Iowa State from Feb. 29 through March 2, where the organization was honored with several awards. 

Negil McPherson III, senior in business marketing, said the conference is an opportunity to come together, network and learn from one another.

“The Big 12 conference on Black Student Government is an annual conference that brings hundreds of Black students across the country to a Big 12 school,” McPherson said. “Students have the opportunity to listen to keynote speakers, attend impactful workshops and gain a deeper understanding of culturally relevant topics.”

K-State’s Black Student Union received the Clarence Wine Award for Outstanding Big XII Council of the Year. This makes 15 times in the past 19 years that K-State’s Black Student Union has won the award. 

Janiya Cato, sophomore in interior architecture, was elected chair of the Big XII Council on Black Student Government and Noah McPherson was elected parliamentarian of the Big XII Council.

Cato said these awards and elected positions show how much the Black Student Union at K-State strives for excellence. 

“These awards validate all the hard work that goes into Black Student Union, which boosts our motivation to want to do more,” Cato said. “It enhances BSU’s reputation both within the university’s community bringing in more opportunities to create intelligent Black leaders.”

Isaiah Choma, sophomore in biomedical engineering and Nelson Mandela Award recipient, said K-State BSU has always served as a welcoming environment for its members.

“It was one of the first multicultural organizations on campus to be established,” Choma said. “Black Student Union proved to be a safe place for African American students during the 60s through 70s and still is to this day.”

McPherson said in April a new executive board will step in, but the foundation of the award-winning organization will remain the same.

“From there, Black Student Union will have a new platform and president at the helm realizing their vision, but will continue to be rooted in our mission and high standard of excellence,” McPherson said.