BREAKING: K-State lands top-portal prospect Coleman Hawkins

Jerome Tang puts a bow on the 2024-25 portal class
Coach+Jerome+Tang+joins+the+students+in+the+Wabash+at+the+end+of+the+game+against+Texas+Tech.+K-State+won+the+matchup+against+the+Red+Raiders+on+Jan.+21%2C+2023+at+home%2C+68-58.+
Elizabeth Sandstrom
Coach Jerome Tang joins the students in the Wabash at the end of the game against Texas Tech. K-State won the matchup against the Red Raiders on Jan. 21, 2023 at home, 68-58.

Kansas State men’s basketball dove head-on into the transfer portal this offseason and now completes its 2024-25 scholarship roster with a splash. Illinois transfer Coleman Hawkins, the No. 1 player in the transfer portal, committed June 14 to head coach Jerome Tang and staff. 

Hawkins, a 6-foot-10 forward, immediately becomes one of the Wildcats’ key players, likely slotting as a starter. His addition puts the Wildcats into conversations surrounding the preseason Top 25 rankings. 

During his senior season at Illinois, Hawkins averaged 12.1 points and 6.1 rebounds per game on 45.1% from the field, earning second-team All-Big Ten honors. The Karl Malone Power Forward of the Year Award Watch List member helped Illinois to the Elite Eight, where it fell to eventual national champion UConn. 

Hawkins visited K-State June 8 after canceling a visit to Louisville. He also scheduled an LSU visit on June 17 but canceled and committed to the Wildcats instead.

With one year of eligibility, Hawkins joins other transfer forwards Achor Achor and Chimobi Ikegwuruka. Sophomores-to-be Macaleab Rich and Taj Manning round out the position group in the Little Apple. 

At point guard, K-State will be led by Michigan transfer Dug McDaniel, with other transfers CJ Jones, Max Jones and Brendan Hausen slotting as shooting and combination guards. Incoming four-star freshman David Castillo will compete for minutes as well. 

In the post, senior center David N’Guessan will be joined by Kentucky transfer Ugonna Onyenso from Kentucky and Arkansas transfer Baye Fall.

K-State wraps up its scholarship count with nine total transfers, one high school signee and three returners from last year’s NIT squad. Heading into Year 3, Tang has loaded up on transfer portal talent, hoping to return to the NCAA Tournament after an Elite Eight appearance in his first year.