Letters from Libby: Mental health matters

Recurring letters and advice to K-State students from the assistant arts & culture editor

Dear Readers,

College students are exposed to and expected to do a lot during their college years, and mental health sometimes gets put on the back burner. With finals approaching, this is even more the case — students are often more worried about studying and all-nighters than proper rest.

According to the article “Mental Health — Parenting College Students from the University of Minnesota, prioritizing mental health in college is easier said than done.

“Students tend to forget about or postpone their own self-care and needs,” the article states. “They neglect their mental health, believing that they don’t have time to deal with stress and anxiety.”

If you are not reflecting on your mental health, how to improve it and taking the steps to do so, the severity of your mental health can diminish. Thankfully, many resources on campus and in Manhattan help you recognize how to help yourself.

For general mental health care, Lafene Counseling and Psychological Services offers free consultation and individual therapy options for K-State students. CAPS also has a list of self-help resources on its website and can provide information on other resources available in Manhattan. 

Another way to care for your mental health is to take a mental health day. Mental health days allow you the peace to reflect, sleep and do something for yourself. Taking a day to yourself to do your favorite things, like watching your favorite show, going on a walk or spending time with friends, can help you focus later when it’s study time.

To manage my mental health, I enjoy taking breaks between subjects and assignments to reward myself with a set time on my phone. These short breaks help me focus more on my studies while balancing my mental health.

According to the article, parents can also look out for students’ mental health.

“Parents can help by acknowledging and talking about signs that their student seems overwhelmed,” the article states. “When you talk about what you’re seeing, your student can see that you care and that you’re concerned, not disappointed in them. With your support and encouragement, your student is likely to be more willing to seek help.”

These next two months are busy, but instead of pulling an all-nighter, do a mental health check-in with yourself and assess if an all-nighter is best for you. College is tough, but you are tougher and worth so much more than just a grade.