The independent student news publication at Kansas State University

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Kansas State Collegian

Wildcats lose sixth of seven past games in nailbiter versus TCU 

Wildcats lose in wild fashion as TCU pulls away with clutch victory
Avery Johnson
Forward David N’Guessan looks for a pass against TCU. In the 75-72 Wildcat loss, N’Guessan recorded 12 points and three blocks.

Kansas State men’s basketball and TCU went blow-for-blow in another thriller in Bramlage Coliseum. Unlike most home games for K-State, the Horned Frogs escaped the Wildcats with just seconds to spare as it won 75-72 in a thriller of a game.  

The Horned Frogs were slow to begin the game. TCU shot 1-10 from the field seven minutes into the game. Mental mistakes and a stingy K-State defense prevented TCU from getting any field goals. K-State led 14-4, as half of TCU’s points came from the free throw line. 

The Wildcats made their own mental errors as turnovers and missed open shots allowed TCU to bring the score to 14-13. The offensive rebounds went in TCU’s favor, leading K-State 6-1 in offensive rebounds. 

K-State went on a six-minute scoring drought. This helped TCU notch its first lead since the start of the game, gaining a 17-16 lead. Both offenses started to go back and forth as the game would become tied at 22 apiece as TCU called a timeout. An explosive fast-break dunk by guard Dorian Finister and free throws from guard Tylor Perry helped bring the lead in K-State’s favor 28-24 going into halftime.

The back and forth continued as the second half began. The Wildcat offense looked like it was close to running away with a large lead, but TCU nailed a 3-point shot to put the game within two as K-State led 37-35. 

The K-State defense had a strong start in the second half. The Wildcats already had four steals seven minutes into the half and five fast break points to go with them. All this allowed for K-State to go up 47-39.

TCU slowly made its way back in the game. TCU guard Micah Peavy hit a 3-pointer and K-State forward David N’Guessan picked up a flagrant foul. TCU tied the game at 49 with 10 minutes of gametime left.  

“Michael Peavy was unbelievable,” head coach Jerome Tang said about the guard who scored 26 points on the day.

It looked like the Horned Frogs and Wildcats switched places as TCU took full control. TCU went up 57-51 over the Wildcats, forcing K-State to call a timeout. With about two minutes to go, K-State bounced back a bit and brought the score to 66-63.

K-State brought the game within two as TCU led 72-70. A crucial TCU turnover on the inbound gave K-State hope with 15 seconds left on the clock. TCU then fouled as K-State inbounded the ball, giving K-State a chance to tie the game from the free throw line with its bonus. Guard Cam Carter knocked down both free throws and tied the game at 72.

With 15 seconds left, TCU gave the ball to guard Jameer Nelson Jr. who hit a clutch 3-pointer with a defender in his face. Nelson put the game away as K-State only had 1.1 second to score, Perry missing the hail mary to give TCU a 75-72 win. 

“I mean that’s the shot we want [Nelson] to take,” forward Arthur Kaluma said. “He just made it, good player, good shot.” 

Perry led the scoring charge, scoring 24 points total with 12 coming from the free throw line. N’Guessan was a major factor inside, collecting three blocks as well as 12 points on 5-6 field goal shooting. Kaluma finished with 11 points and five rebounds. 

“A loss is a loss man,” Kaluma said. “Onto the next one.” 

K-State will look to snap the two-game losing streak as it will face off against Texas in Lubbock at 8 p.m. Monday.